Lowering the gearing

Peak 370

Something I learned from my time in America was that gearing is one thing they are very keen on changing, on their muscle cars and sports cars. But last night my friend out there heard about a 2012 370Z (7 speed auto) now running lower gearing. Annoyingly he doesn't know who supplied the parts for the guy.

That could be a straightforward way to liven up the car I'd say.

Question is why? More than happy with the ratios as is, the lower gears are lower than the 6MT.

Theoretical top speed in 6th is about 195 mph I think, if you shortened the final drive so it was hitting the rev limiter at 150 it would accelerate a fair amount quicker. Not much good for GT type antics but for a track or drag car it would be very worthwhile.

That's right. Many cars are geared silly high in the top 2 gears, either for noise or other regs or for stated economy.

I have geared my Caterham R500 down, using lightweight 13" wheels instead of 15s. But I would not want say 16s on the 370!