Coilovers - Meister R/BC - Help! *Noob content*

UKtom

I've done numerous searches but still hugely confused with regards to coilovers and 350z's, I'm hoping someone can help and point me in the right direction to help me make a decision on which ones to buy!

The plan/what I want to do: Coilover Suspension Set up with the intention to go extra low/stance route

What I've been looking at: Meister R (Zeta-R) Coilovers or BC Coilovers

My Budget: Anything up to £900 (although the cheaper, the better).

So, question numero 1: After doing some research I've heard about "true" coilovers - Can anyone explain what makes the coilover "true"...?

2: What are peoples common set up's or recommendations for coilovers? I've seen alot of people are on springs but I've always used the coilover route on my previous cars (mainly so I can adjust the ride height to my preference)... Apart from being a huge amount cheaper, is there any other reason why?

3: In addition to coilovers, what else will I need to buy? What is essential if I'm going to stance it, and what is advisable? Camber Arms etc?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Tom

Edited by UKtom

1. True coil overs have the spring on the shock, the 350Z has this on the front, but it has separate springs on the rear. A true coil over set up will get rid of the separate spring at the rear. However, you should probably reinforce the rear if you plan on using these.

2. I'm on springs, the only reason is price. When I get a few quid together, i'll be upgrading.

3. If you drop it more than 25mm you'll need rear adjustable camber arms, but if you really slam it, you'll need front ones too. I'd also advice adjustable drop links to because the originals will wear out a lot quicker on a lowered car.

• Like 1

Thanks Kyle. What are recommended brands for coilovers on Z's?

Is there anywhere people could recommend where I can get the rear reinforced or how difficult is it to do yourself?

Thanks again,

Tom

Edited by UKtom

Thanks Kyle. What are recommended brands for coilovers on Z's?

Is there anywhere people could recommend where I can get the rear reinforced or how difficult is it to do yourself?

Thanks again,

Tom

I don't have an experience with them as of yet, but BC's are probably what i'll go for. The price is good and they maintain the OEM separate spring, so there'll be no worrying about anything going wrong. If I had the money I'd be going for HKS Hypermax, which are around £900, or if I was really flush, KW V3's :D

As for the reinforcing, there are a few members who are running true coil overs without any additional work without any issues, but there's always the risk. People running true coil overs on some BMW's have had the rear shock burst through the turret :scare:

• 1 month later...

Had this dilemma a month or so ago mate.

Picked up a set of BCs from Mitz at Cougar store. Easy to fit, look good, simple to adjust and a crazy amount of dampening adjustablilty.

Very happy with them and couldnt recommend more!

• Like 1