New 350z 2007 model Buyer -Advice needed

Hello All

I've recently joined this forum, having up until recently been a Porsche owner. I sold my 911 to finance the refurb of my house, but have decided that I can't live without a car parked on the drive for much longer.

Well why the Nissan 350z? Well I've considered all cars within reason, i.e second hand Ferrari's, another 911, Noble M400 . Anyway, after a reality check from my wife who has reminded me that there are two of us to consider (i.e I need to leave enough cash to decorate the house), I have restricted my budget to £35k max. I've always liked the look of the 350z, and having spent the last 2 months surfing google and reading every link on the 350z that i could find, instead of working, I know it is the best all round car for the budget. The most convincing thing has been a youtube clip called 350z montage, in which there arre some stunning 350z's shown.

Well 35k would be enough for a brand new 350z with the spec that I want, i.e GT Pack, sat nav, gun metal (or twilight grey), 4 year warranty, aleanze orange leather seats, and some 19" black polished 5 spoke alloys with a polished chrome lip.

I have considered second hand, but have not found any that fit my description. Also, the way I figure, although I may save a few grand on a nearly new model (lets say a 2007 model purchased in 3-4 months when they start to appear for sale second hand), it will not be quite to my spec. SO the trade off is save a few grand, or get a totally brand new fully warranteed car.

I did walk into a dealership in Derby recently, and another in Romford a few weeks back, and was in a position to buy one. However, no one in either showroom bothered to offer me assistance, despite me sitting in the models on display. Admitadley I usually dress like a hard up student, but this did annoy me. I am going to write to Managing director of sales to complain about this, as it has put me of going to a showroom, despite me wanting to buy brand new.

Anyway, my questions for the forum are:

1) Am I silly buying brand new (I do like the newer spec, but is it really worth a premium)?

2) How much will decent wheels cost like the ones I mention with tyres

3) Has anyone ever purchased brand new with a discount thrown in, or any free things thrown in eg sat nav, i.e is it worth haggling?

4) should i bother to get the paint gaurd etc, or not bother, and just live with the prospct of the odd respray every now and again?

5) I notice that each year the spec seems to change slightly. Is there anyway of knowing when such specs change, as I would hate to buy a 2007 model, only to find out a 2008 model may have some great new bits which I should have waited for?

Anyway, it's nice to join this forum, and I hope to contribute more in future once i get my own ride.

Thanks

Ami

Welcome aboard! :thumbs:

As for your questions...

1) Am I silly buying brand new (I do like the newer spec, but is it really worth a premium)? It will always save a bob or two to buy nearly new but the engine in the MY07 is apparently worth the effort. Also if you're spending that sort of money I can understand you wanting precisely your chosen spec.

2) How much will decent wheels cost like the ones I mention with tyres This will depend whether you're happy to import from the States and take advantage of the excellent exchange rate. I would recommend following the link from the front page to Z1 so you can get an idea what you want and then PM Adam for a price. Adam's a top guy and you should have no concerns about going the import route. If feel happier buying from the UK and are prepared to pay a little try JDM Performance who are another of our traders.

3) Has anyone ever purchased brand new with a discount thrown in, or any free things thrown in eg sat nav, i.e is it worth haggling? When I bought mine all I managed was mats and a tank of fuel (over 2 years ago). I doubt you'd get as much as sat nav but can't hurt to try.

4) should i bother to get the paint gaurd etc, or not bother, and just live with the prospct of the odd respray every now and again? The paint on these cars is very poor and liable to stone chipping. Many swear by Paintshield and I would do it if I bought new again. If you are looking you can see the edges of the film but most wouldn't notice.

5) I notice that each year the spec seems to change slightly. Is there anyway of knowing when such specs change, as I would hate to buy a 2007 model, only to find out a 2008 model may have some great new bits which I should have waited for? Who knows with Nissan? I don't think the MY06 owners were too chuffed to finjd their cars obsolete after 12 months!

Don't worry about the dealers. They're used to selling Micra's and really don't have the customer service skills to flog £30k cars! :dry:

HTH :)

Hi Afzala, i'm new too so can't say anything about cost of wheels etc but I did buy my 350 new a year ago, I managed to get the the car matts thrown in and a higher price for my part ex.

I found with buying new the sales guy was great, nissan then sent me a key ring and a Mr and Mrs Smith book which was nice, however, when it came to the waranttee things got a little harder, though on the plus side I have not paid for any of the work/repairs. If I was to buy again I would probably look for a car which was a couple of months old from the dealer and save a couple of grand and put this towards some mods

Thanks for your responses and advice. Funnily enough, I've just checked the nissan offers website, and it appears that Nissan is throwing in sat nav for free on all new 350z purchases until the end of September...very tempting.