Ticking/Clicking noise when accelerating...

eviljoker7075

Hey, I'm hoping someone can give me a hand... I have a 2004 350z (GT Pack), and I need help identifying what's causing a weird noise.

The symptoms:

When applying or releasing pressure from the accelerator I head ticking or clicking noise. It's not a constant noise, it happens maybe once or twice on each occassion. It also occurs when pulling away from stand-still, but happens if coasting along, and then I press on the accelerator. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from (i.e. front/rear etc).

I am not mechanically minded at all, but initially I thought it might be connected to the exhaust (pressing the accelerator would cause more exhaust gases, right?). However, it doesn't happen if the car is stationary, so if I leave it in neutral and press the accelerator it doesn't happen.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

You might be correct when you mention your exhaust as I've been encountering the same problem as you on my '04 GT. I managed to fix it this morning. The noise was originating from the chrome tips of the exhaust back box which had come slightly loose and were vibrating when both accelerating and decelerating. The noise became less obtrusive when on a long run and the exhaust got very warm. I managed to fix it by squeezing/pinching the tips where they roll over into the inner bore of the tip. Even when cold, no more ticking or rattling on either acceleration or deceleration. Problem solved.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help and advice (especially considering it's quite a noob thing to ask by all accounts!) On reflection I think it probably is the famous rear axel clicking issue so have booked it in with my nearest dealer to be looked at. Will it be ok to drive in the mean-time?

Drove mine on clicky rear axle for about 1000 miles before getting it sorted, clearly though asap is advisable.

There is also a very simple greasing solution you can do for a tenner - dealer could well charge you £500+ to fix.

There is a link on this site (also on www.my30.com) of how to do this, and as bamdc2 mentions, if you can remove a wheel you'll be able to sort this out for way less than a stealer or mechanic will charge you. It'll also give you the confidence to try more things regarding maintenance on you Zed thus saving you a small fortune.