106 GTi smoking around the manifold

longsh07

So my Peugeot 106 track/winter car/practice stuff on project thing may have been a little bit on fire the other day. What with it being French I understand this is perfectly normal however since returning to the uncommon state of not-on-fire its started smoking around the exhaust manifold.

My thought it is could be oil that I've missed burning off the block or possibly the exhaust manifold gasket got damaged in the fire although I had assumed this was metal based on the replacements available. Anyone got any other thoughts?

Back story for those who are interested

The cause of the fire was the oil pressure switch giving up. I recently fitted a mechanical oil pressure gauge using a T-piece and a braided line. Removing the switch and refitting it into the T-piece must weakened the switch which then gave up and sprayed oil on the exhaust manifold. Luckily I carry an extinguisher in the car so I pulled over and put it out.

Towed it back home and replaced the sensor, cleaned off any oil I could see and wrapped the cables that melted in some high temp self amalgamating tape. Started her up and she runs as well as she ever did for an old abused 106. Only issue is there is a very small amount of smoke coming from around the exhaust manifold.

My old GTi did this once.

On the motorway, it started struggling for air and misfiring, I pulled over opened the bonnet and was greater by smoke from the manifold.

Called the AA.

He took a look, by now the smoke had stopped and said to try to drive off and he'd follow me home. It my have just been a but of oil or muck.

Car ran fine as if nothing happened for another 2 years.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was just oil and other rubbish on the engine. When I got it it looked like the previous owner had spilled oil all down the front of the engine and not bothered to clean it off. There was this awful thick black sludge all down the front of the block. I cleaned off what I could but could have missed some.

The front cam cover gasket on my old vts failed and caused oil to weep onto the manifold cover, this then dripped onto the exhaust maifiold resulting in a smoky drive for about 40 miles.

Hows the gearbox holding out, I went through 3 box's on mine and it was only running 50bhp over standard? it did a lot of track days and other than this weak spot was very reliable.

Edited by robin c

Good to know, will keep an eye on it.

It's alright, forward gears are fine however sometimes reverse can be a pig to get.

It's not actually seen a track yet, been modifying and fixing bits over the last two years. It's only a side project and something to see me through winter (which it did) so it's paid for itself in learning and practicality despite its lack of back seats lol

I bought my vts new back in 1998 was a great little car. Couldnt afford the extra for the pug.

mate had one at same time, the pug was a better handler.

linakage arm may need adjustment they bend if man handled. i ended up fitting a beefed up item and short shift kit to take up play.