New head unit (Pio 2600) now whistling from speakers

nictry

I had the Bose unit removed this week and replaced with a shiny new Pioneer 2600 Head Unit but since being installed I now have a problem that I remember from my old Cortina/Capri days 20+ years ago where there is a whistling type noise coming through the speakers when accelerating, it is more noticeable at lower 'town' speeds than motorway speed but is quite annoying when trundling around and listening to less 'heavy' music as the whistling is quite intrusive.

Any ideas as I would really like to get rid as it wasn't there with the OEM system?

Cheers.

Hmmm, rather hoped you wouldn't say that, as it was fitted for me at not inconsiderable cost I am a bit miffed I now have to sort this out. I am not even sure how to extract the head unit to be honest, let alone hunt down the earth!

Unfortunately it was a long trek to arrange but I may have to do that unfortunately. Appreciate the advice/suggestions as to what might be causing it

Edited by nictry

Check the earth for the stereo.

Yup this happened when I installed my first stereo with amps etc when i was 17 in a chavvy civic! Good luck getting this resolved :thumbs:

Hmm, not impressed as although installer says will look at the problem this will only be at the original location is 200 mile trip, considering its a mobile fitter I hoped my offer to meet just over half way (me doing 120 of the miles) was fair but apparently not so I have to incur £50 of extra cost to get a problem that exists only since the install has actually pi**ed me off frankly,

Looks like I might have to now get a local audio shop to fix the problem as even with a £50 bill it's saving me 4 hours of my time too.

Edited by nictry

It is more frustrating as the fitter came from great recommendations on the forum but beginning to wish had just gone local in the first place now :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a pity you aren't closer, I fix it for free it really should be an easy fix as it's just a matter of moving or cleaning up the earthing point. If that doesn't work a ground lop isolator from eBay is about £5.00. All in it should only take about 30 mins to fix.

Why don't you give it a go your self? It's not that hard to do.

That's very kind of you and really appreciate the offer. To be honest 20 years ago I was whipping stereos in and out of my cortinas, granadas and mini metros like it was going out of fashion but I just don't have the confidence to play around now and not to mention even extracting the head unit looks a bit scary (I don't have any keys either so pulling it out might be a challenge assuming it slides straight out vs. the Bose unit which looks like you need to remove the entire centre console.)

If any kind soul in the South East feels brave and wouldn't mind helping me out for 30 mins to try and resolve this (I have purchased a ground loop isolator in case the earthing is all ok) then it would be appreciated with some beer money thrown in of course :)

Edited by nictry

So quick update, am going to have to take it back as in additon to the detailed issues seems the HU is now randomly changing the date (jumped a month ahead and then lost a day) i think some electronic gremlins have got into my systems somehow!

• 2 weeks later...

So quick update, had whole HU out and all earthing checked etc but nothing doing, problem still there, whistling particularly noticeable at low speed. Fitter suggested could be an Amp issue rather than the new unit install or wiring (did also check with a ground loop isolator but no improvement.

Any other ideas much appreciated as still a bit p****d off if I am being honest

So quick update, had whole HU out and all earthing checked etc but nothing doing, problem still there, whistling particularly noticeable at low speed. Fitter suggested could be an Amp issue rather than the new unit install or wiring (did also check with a ground loop isolator but no improvement.

Any other ideas much appreciated as still a bit p****d off if I am being honest

Anyone come across this fix below? Seems very specific to Pio HUs so am wondering if could be with trying on the 2600?

I'm writing this for the people struggling to get rid of their alternator whine, and have a Pioneer head unit.

If you have a Pioneer Head Unit, and you have alternator whine. START HERE. Do not rip out all your wiring like I did.

Take a 14 or so guage wire, strip it, and wrap it around the Line-Outs on your HU. Take out two screws on the back

casing, and wrap the wires around the screws. Tighten the screws. It should look like this:

ypa4emez.jpg

Edited by nictry

Yep internal earthing seems to be a Pio issue (apparently) to be honest am getting desperate now so any possible solutions seem to be worth pursuing, just really peed off at having spent so much to effectively end up with a crappier system than what was in the car originally!