strut top nut not on fully??

mick-r1

just a quick one, ive installed lowering springs yesterday, but when i went to remove the top nut on one of the front struts it was a bitch to do, eventually i got it off and installed the spring, but when putting the top mount back on the top nut would only go on 4-5 threads then the rod started so spin, the nut isnt far enough down to grab the top of the rod like i had to when removing the nut, and i cant get a decent grip on the lower part of the rod without probably causing damage to it...

so my question is, do i get a vice grips and clamp it on tight to the lower part of the rob behind the dust cover or would it be alright to leave as is??

i would prefer to clamp and tighten, but dont want to do any damage.

thanks in advance

To undo the top nut, you can do it with the strut still in place (just crack it open). That will save you massive ball ache later on when you take the strut out and want to remove the spring. Similarly torque the top nut up with the strut in place using a box wrench.

You might need to get some spring compressors (these will save you potentially doing a lot of damage to yourself) to compress spring to allow you to put the top mount on correctly if it's not already.

I can't quite remember the exact method without looking, but there should be a few guides out there.

Hope this helps

tried it with spring compressors when out of the car also when in the car, everything is back in now just that nut isnt fully on, the rod still spins even when in the car, im gonna have a go at it later tonight with an impact gum but i cant see that making a difference

On most other cars I've changed springs on, the top mount is "keyed" to the top of the damper piston rod (ususally just flat sided), such that when in place properly, the top mount will stop the piston rod from rotating. Are these different?

I wouldn't recommend anything more than trying to grip the damper piston rid by hand. Anymore and you risk damaging the external coating, and subsequently the seals as it is compressed in tot he damper body.

On most other cars I've changed springs on, the top mount is "keyed" to the top of the damper piston rod (ususally just flat sided), such that when in place properly, the top mount will stop the piston rod from rotating. Are these different?

I wouldn't recommend anything more than trying to grip the damper piston rid by hand. Anymore and you risk damaging the external coating, and subsequently the seals as it is compressed in tot he damper body.

+1 the top of the piston usually either has a cut out to be held with a spanner or an alun key recess in the top of the piston to hold it while you tighten the nut

It should rattle off with a decent impact gun.

Leave the car on the ground so that there is load on the top mount.

Then when nut off, check to see if it is the strut thread or the nut that is damaged.

If it is only the nut then a new nut will fix the issue, if it is the thread on the strut then you will have to run a die down the thread to fix or stick on a preowned strut.

If you have to use grips on the ram of the strut, make sure that you have it well protected with a thick cloth.

Good luck.

Preowned struts and nuts are in stock if required.

Alex. :)

Then when nut off, check to see if it is the strut thread or the nut that is damaged.

If it is only the nut then a new nut will fix the issue, if it is the thread on the strut then you will have to run a die down the thread to fix or stick on a preowned strut.

If you have to use grips on the ram of the strut, make sure that you have it well protected with a thick cloth.

Good luck.

Thanks.

It is flat sided but the problem.is the nut isnt on far enough to grip the flat part.

Good luck.

Thanks.

It is flat sided but the problem.is the nut isnt on far enough to grip the flat part.

And that is why I recommended the options above.