Airbag Fault - Clock Spring???

BACON

Good evening forum members, experts and administrators (some of whom I'm sure fit into all 3 categories),

I was hoping someone on here could give me some advice.

I have had an airbag warning light flashing for the past 8 months and although several garages have diagnosed the fault as being a fault on the drivers airbag, none of them have been able to resolve the issue.

I have searched and followed several topics regarding this seemingly common issue on here and although this has been very helpful, I am still stumped. The connectors under the seats all seem fine and no loose article has migrated under either seat. I have done the reset procedure on several occasions that I discovered on here (so thank you all for this information through various topic searches) but still no joy. The wiring within the rear of the seats all seem fine so feel it may be something else.

Now my MOT is due..........today in fact and the tax as well. The issue I have is that since the law changed surrounding this fault, the Zed will not be bale to pass the MOT and therefore I cannot tax or then drive the Zed.

I've had the Zed in a local garage all day today and they've spent the day investigating & researching.......it seems that Nissan have published a pdf on this issue (totalling 79 pages :wacko: ) and it suggests a 3-step guide to resolving this issue on my 2005 350z GT. Each step should be completed in the order stated. Step 1 = replace the drivers airbag at a cost of £929 :scare: ....if this has no positive effect move onto step 2 (again :scare: )! Step 2 = Replace the wiring loom or Clock Spring (make sure you don't say this too quickly) at a cost of £354.....if this has no positive impact move onto step 3 :scare: . Step 3 - replace the airbag module at an undisclosed figure.

So if I was to follow this guide I could theoretically spend a huge amount of money on parts that I may or may not require before someone can discover the actual fault........................are they for real??????

The guy at the garage has now taken the dashboard apart and has done some form of test (he did try to explain it to me but I'm not really technically minded) but the end result was that he feels the Airbag itself is fine.........result if this is correct. DoI get him to order the Clock Spring at a cost of £354 as the next step?

Not really sure what to do now........seriously don't want to sell my baby and with no MOT or tax, she clearly would not retain much worth in comparison to the love I have for her. Any advice gladly received?

Many thanks,

Greg

I know you mentioned you checked the connections, but I believe some owners have had success from deleting them completely ans soldering the wires together.

WARNING please don't do this until someone cleverer comes along and confirms this won't explode your airbags in your face.

The clockspring is just a couple of connectors with a multiple rotary track in the centre.

Each of these tracks can be checked with a multi meter for continuity at the plugs on each end.

Should it be faulty and not show continuity at each end then get a second hand one. Sure I saw one on ebay the other day

Edit-- Here you go

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-350Z-SPIRAL-CABLE-CLOCKSPRING-STEERING-POSITION-SENSOR-/111337257992?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19ec37bc08

At 99p at the mo

Edited by flyboy
  • Like 1

Thanks Flyboy and for the attached link but this clock spring does appear to be slightly different from others listed on ebay, not sure if this is perhaps originating from an import model but there seems to be different connectors! :wacko:

Clock spring has now been replaced and it was indeed the part I needed as the Airbag fault I had for the past 10 months has now cleared!!! :teeth:

Driving home from the garage who have had it for a week but have completed the job for under £400, compared to Nissan who wanted to start by replacing the drivers airbag at a cost of £1,400.................which clearly wasn't faulty, only to have an ESP fault appear! :scare:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was only 50 yards down the road from the garage when all of a sudden she started jumping and braking harshly without any assistance from me....then the ESP OFF light appeared and I cannot reset by either pushing the ESP Off button on the lower dash or by turning the ignition off. :surrender: