Weird Engine Noise - Problem

Kuro

Hi all ;)

Well, after 6 months of trouble free motoring I have my first weird noise to contend with. I hate weird noises, due to me being a paraniod git and constantly thinking something is about to explode...

Anyway, here's what up;

It's a weird kind of throaty noise I think, it almost sounds like my Zed has a cold. I can only hear it at idle, I presume it's there throughout though..?

Also, it's linked to the engine temp, when I got it out of the garage this morning, no noise, pull up at work - noise back. Weird. I can't seem to pinpoint it either, when I got home last night it was there, I could hear it from inside the cabin, but when I opened the door I could no longer hear it.

I'm tempted to say it's coming from the engine bay, but I can't be sure. All I know is that I can hear it inside, when it's warmed up.

So what do you think guys..?

Could this be exhaust related do you think? It doesn't have a very mechanical sound to it really, I mean it's not drivebelty or anything.

Thanks guys - I know it's tricky trying to diagnose on a board :thumbs:

(all guages and dials fine)

Temperature related and exhaust type sound makes me think of the EGR system sticking open, but my books are at home and I am about 50 miles from them so I can check later and post more details.

Meantime worth getting it to the dealers (stealers) to give it a once over as this will effect the emmisions and hence the running conditions of the engine, loss of power and performance.

I used to have a weird noise when going up a multi storey car park a low speed, same description as you would give: as if the Z had a cough, or cold, could still hear it wehn I got into my parking space in the multi storey, revving the engine. Since I left my previous job, ie no more multi storeys, I haven't heard it since! weird stuff mate :wacko:

Guest prescience

EGR is exhaust gas recirculation IIRC. But I don't think this car has an EGR system does it, I thought that wasn't needed in modern cars generally with twin cam variable valve timing and a little extra overlap between intake and exhaust cams.

Don't believe the Z has one - but Teddy is usually spot on :)

From a diiferent angle, could it be something to do with the climate control/air con. Just with it happening once the car is warmed up. Also with being able to hear it from inside.

Hi mate,

yes, they were my thoughts, especially as yesterday I flicked the aircon to ice cold just to give it some use, with it being winter. It's certainly got that kind of 'bubbling' noise to it.

However, tonight it seems to be quite loud, also, the revs are very steady, and don't appear to reflect the aircon use, as they usually do.

So I'm a little stumped really :headhurt:

Can't help but be a bit worried about it... Then again two nissan techs said they could here it, but said it was no problem.

We'll see what comes out of next friday's dealer trip :headhurt:

Now fixed thanks to the excellent service from Chorley Nissan. :thumbs:

Just for info; it was a popping, hammering noise, that seemed to be coming from everywhere. You could only hear it inside, and it was present throughout the rev range, but very noticable on idle. (only when warm though)

Anyway, turned out to be a faulty fuel valve or something similar, located in the engine bay. The guy said that when it's faulty it causes a vibe in the fuel lines, which makes it seem like its coming from all over.

But, now fixed :teeth: