Diff & Gearbox oil change advice

Dicky

Been reading some old threads ref changing Diff and Gearbox oils. My cars now at 65K and is going in for a P2 this week.

Been looking at the Service checklist (p18 & 9 of service record) and if I'm reading it right it states to only inspect the Gearbox and Diff oils (although they do state to change the "LSD gear oil"..what ever that is?replace at P3 ) ( and why are some items in red and others in black type?).

Asked the garage service coordinator what he recommends and he suggested to leave alone if ok.

Are guys just changing because they are just fastidious or because experience has shown it to be worth while.

What do you think, ask to have it done or leave alone?

Items alternate in red and black for clarity. If you read item 15 again, it says "except viscous coupling type", therefore this item does not apply to the 350Z. This alone then makes the P3 identical to a P2. People often mistake the "Additional service items at additional cost" as being P3 items, they are not. Some e.g. fuel filter, cambelt, don't even apply to the 350Z. This is a generalised service schedule that the 350Z has been lumped under (if less than 18k/year.)

People (myself included) change gear and diff oil because they want to for a belt and braces approach. The Nissan 'P' service schedule does not require it. Some find a benefit by adding Molyslip to the gearbox when the changes start getting a bit 'tired'.

• Like 1

Mines in the garage atm for a new exhaust fitted, arb bushes and gearbox oil + molyslip. I'm hoping that the oil change will make it feel smoother. Either way I don't think it's an expensive job to do and it must do some good to the gearbox :thumbs:

Red & black for clarity...well these Japs think of everything!

Also good info from everyone, thanks. Think I will follow your lead and have them changed. Suppose the garage will know how much molyslip to add?

Red & black for clarity...well these Japs think of everything!

Also good info from everyone, thanks. Think I will follow your lead and have them changed. Suppose the garage will know how much molyslip to add?

Full tube :thumbs: