Doing my nut in

Sized

Afternoon all,

Just wanted to offer a word of caution to anyone on the hunt for better looking replacements for the 6x bolts and 2x nuts that secure the front strut bar, and also ask for some advice on the subject.

I ended up splashing out on a titanium set from pro-bolt, which is one of the specific kits they do. If anyone else is thinking of ordering one of these kits, please be aware that they will definitely not a fit a car with no plenum spacer, as the bolts in the kit are too long (35mm).

Phoned up pro-bolt and arranged an exchange for 25mm length bolts (found the size quoted on here somewhere I think). However, these are also too long :doh:

Measured one of the factory bolts on my car they are actually 20mm thread length. Pro-bolt do do M10 x 20 x 1.25 pitch bolt, but only in the race-spec range, which I'm not mad keen on, so I'd love to hear any recommendations for where they got replacement (titanium) bolts from.

Thanks

Personally I would Not touch Pro Bolt Titanium bolts, I have loads of the stuff in the garage, my brother had one break on the bottom yoke of his Hayabusa and I had two break on mine one broke when I was doing around 10# from off the torque bar my brother was following and he saw it fly past him that would of been a 20# mph impact.so for me it's a no no. :thumbs:

Thats odd. I purchased a set of pro bolt titanium strut bar bolts to fit on my Cusco strut bar and i have no plenum spacer. Bolts were all fine for me. This was last Spring !!.

Payco

I have the Aluminium bolts on the strut bar and they are fine also.

I've been using their bolts for about 2.5 years, I've had one bolt snap on my car (Spacer bolt), but that's because I over torqued it. If you follow specification of the bolt they won't snap. My entire engine bay is Pro-Bolt, with no issues what so ever.

Sized, 30mm bolts are the required length with a spacer and 25mm without. I know Paddy78 had a presumed issue with the bolt being "too long", but after putting some effort into tightening the bolt, they tightened as they should.

It's probably dirt or something stopping the bolt from tightening as it should.

You will find that because of the fine pitch, obtaining aftermarket strut bar bolts is a little hard to come across. My bolts for the strut bar included in the spacer kit come from Germany.

Personally I would Not touch Pro Bolt Titanium bolts, I have loads of the stuff in the garage, my brother had one break on the bottom yoke of his Hayabusa and I had two break on mine one broke when I was doing around 10# from off the torque bar my brother was following and he saw it fly past him that would of been a 20# mph impact.so for me it's a no no. :thumbs:

Crikey, scary stuff. Hopefully they'll be ok on the zed strut - torque setting is not mega high.

Thats odd. I purchased a set of pro bolt titanium strut bar bolts to fit on my Cusco strut bar and i have no plenum spacer. Bolts were all fine for me. This was last Spring !!.

Payco

Weird. I'm assuming all the bolts are the same length - I've just tried one of the outermost ones and even with the 25mm length bolts the end of the bolt reaches the top of the wheel arch moulding a good 3-4mm before the flange is flush with the strut brace. I'm running a GT Spec strut brace which I think is essentially the same as the cusco one too!

Weird. I'm assuming all the bolts are the same length - I've just tried one of the outermost ones and even with the 25mm length bolts the end of the bolt reaches the top of the wheel arch moulding a good 3-4mm before the flange is flush with the strut brace. I'm running a GT Spec strut brace which I think is essentially the same as the cusco one too!

I used to run the GT Spec Strut with Motordyne Spacer, with bolt length of 30mm

Example below with the 30mm bolts.....

IMG_5938.jpg

I've been using their bolts for about 2.5 years, I've had one bolt snap on my car (Spacer bolt), but that's because I over torqued it. If you follow specification of the bolt they won't snap. My entire engine bay is Pro-Bolt, with no issues what so ever.

Sized, 30mm bolts are the required length with a spacer and 25mm without. I know Paddy78 had a presumed issue with the bolt being "too long", but after putting some effort into tightening the bolt, they tightened as they should.

You will find that because of the fine pitch, obtaining aftermarket strut bar bolts is a little hard to come across. My bolts for the strut bar included in the spacer kit come from Germany.

Hmmm sounds like operator error on my part then - now I feel like a numpty! :lol:

Will give it another go later on......................

Cheers Wasso :thumbs:

Hmmm sounds like operator error on my part then - now I feel like a numpty! :lol:

Will give it another go later on......................

Cheers Wasso :thumbs:

Seriously, give it some WD 40 inside the bolt hole, try a different bolt, as this sometimes fixes the issue for me.

Ian, dont you mean you have snapped two pro bolts ?. Dont forget mine.

Payco

Yes I recall now, darn thing. Had to be right at the back though eh.

To note: I wouldn't recommend using Aluminium bolts for the strut, although I have managed to get away with it. The titanium bolts from Pro-Bolt are fine, as long as you read the torque settings required for fitment.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick belated update on this. Did another test with the 25mm bolts that I had. Carried on tightening a quarter turn or so after meeting with the resistance described above, then undid the bolt again to have a peer down the hole. The end of the bolt had started to score the paint on the wheel arch moulding :( It would have tightened up all the way but not without going down to the metal I don't think.

Wasn't really happy with that so exchanged them for 20mm race spec bolts from pro-bolt, which fit like a charm and look great on :) Still can't really understand why others have had no issue with 25mm bolts, but this just my 2p :)

Must say Pro-bolt have been great to deal with too :)

Paddy had the same issue using 30mm with spacer. But this was just a case of tightening and all was good.

There should be no issues. Very strange because I've now sold umpteen spacers using 30mm bolts with zero issues. It's what Motordyne/Blox/H-Dev/Skunk all supply 30mm bolts.

Puzzled......

Yeah it's bloody weird Wasso! Maybe GT Spec changed the thickness of the mounts on their brace?! The 25mm bolts would have only needed to be 2-3mm shorter for me to have no issues (no plenum spacer on my car). Who knows but 20mm is the thread length of my OEM bolts so the new ones I've fitted should be equally ok :)

Edited by Sized

20mm!! Hmmmm gonna dig out my old bolts and get them measured, it would be interesting to see. I wonder if your car is special? It's not an import or anything is it..... nah just seen 2006. This is just mad.....

:wacko: