Creaky/squeaky/rattling noise from rear axle

Jamesyy

Hi,

I've read plenty about the rear axles on these cars and read the fix with re-greasing it, but most seem to say they only click once and then it goes.

Mine is becoming increasingly worse. It now creaks/rattles/squeaks pretty loud ALL the time when driving it, does get a bit better when the road is very smooth and theres no steering movement. Just to add, this is ONLY on the drivers side rear axle, and nowhere else.

I am going to get the axle looked at for the common problem anyway, but spoken to a mate who's a mechanic and he says it could be the cv joint gone which could spill the grease and make it worse? It's a second car so wont be driving it anymore until it's sorted, which isnt too much of a pain, but gets in the way of my fun!

Any ideas or anyone had anything similar?

Thanks,

James

Edited by Jamesyy

Sounds a bit like a drop link needs replaced to me.

I'm in agreement with Kyle in that it does sound like a drop link, especially if there's a squeaking and clunking. There are a couple of YouTube clips you can use to compare the sounds you are encountering.

Thanks for the replies. Will have a look at this when I get a chance.

To be honest, I've had it a couple of months and was meant to be going in to get alot of wear and tear items replaced for peace of mind (and me being a fussy bugger!) as despite it having FSH and no MOT failures/advisories and only 29k miles, there is no receipts and no knowledge of any other work the car has had done. So this will be added to my list!

Thanks again.

Listened to the noise from the outside of the car, and sounds more like a continuous clicking noise when you're outside, and then a metal straining/creaking noise on the inside? Still think a good place to start would be the drop link?