Drivers door will not open, at all

mike89

I work offshore and have come home last 2 trips to my zed being flat.

First time I was away for almost 3 weeks and it was as flat as a pancake, tried opening it with the key that pops out and this did nothing. Had to get green flag to wedge open the window and put a hook in to pop the bonnet just to get it open so he could use his booster and I could open the car. The central locking unlocked the passenger door and boot but not the drivers door. However after a couple hours the drivers door could be opened again and I thought nothing of it again.

I just got back on Tuesday after being away for two weeks and the car was dead again! However this time the central locking worked but could not start the engine. I got my work mate to help and using jump leads got it going. This time though my driver door is not opening. That's been since Tuesday (4 days). I've also noticed this time that when I have my lights on and turn the car off they won't go off automatically like they usually do. Something bizarre going on!

I have recently fitted a reversing camera to my car, it's fed from the connect premium unit, I can't see this being the problem but it's a bit of a coincidence. Has this happened to anybody else? It's embarrassing having to climb in and out the passenger door.

Before I go out and buy a new battery or actuator for the door I thought I'd ask on here if anyone had a clue what's going on. Any help appreciated

Edited by mike89

Sound like one of the bars may have come off inside the door on the handle / lock assembly. Is the camera definitely not on a constant live as that may be our drain.

New bat first then go from there :thumbs:

If you need and 370z parts I have complete doors wit all parts :thumbs:

Sound like one of the bars may have come off inside the door on the handle / lock assembly. Is the camera definitely not on a constant live as that may be our drain.

New bat first then go from there :thumbs:

If you need and 370z parts I have complete doors wit all parts :thumbs:

I'm going to try check this out tonight, but I wouldn't have thought it was a constant live. I'm not so sure it can be a physical part broken? If so, why did it start working again after not working the 1st time? Seems odd. I tried an ECU reset which never helped matters.

Edited by mike89

sounds to me that the camera is using battery power when it shouldn't be, even if just a trickle. A car battery shouldn't be flat in two weeks, how old is the car/battery? would be surprised if a 370z battery had gone bad already. Was the car able to sit for long periods and then start up before the camera was fitted? when electronics are concerned I don't believe in coincidences.

The camera gets its power from the Connect premium system, I will find out later if ther is power going to it when car is off. My car is 3yrs and 4 months old.

And yeah, car has sat for weeks at a time and didn't die before I fitted it. It's all pointing to the camera but why would that continue to stop me getting my door open? I've got just under 14V when car is running which is ok

Edited by mike89

the 14v readout just says that the alternator is charging correctly, but doesn't give an indication of the battery capacity or the draw on it. the door sounds like a function of the power, maybe the battery is getting so flat the ecu/locking system/alarm is all going to pot.

if you cant get it sorted before the next time you go offshore, maybe disconnect the battery and leave the bonnet on the latch, then when you get back open the bonnet and reconnect it?

I came back to my car after a 2 week break, the doors opened but the engine would not turn. Roadside recovery came out and tested the battery, some of the cells were dead. He put it down to the car being stood on the forecourt and not being run enough prior to us buying it, the car was less than 2 years old and 6k on the clock when the battery failed. Nissan replaced it free of charge but the garage had the car for 3 days, reason they gave was for testing and ordering, I was not impressed :angry: especially as the recovery guy had one available.

It turns out I got a bad wiring loom and the camera was getting a constant live feed.

What I don't understand is why the door won't open after the battery being flat? I think I'll need to wait until I get the correct wiring loom fitted to see what happens.