Fuel Filler Flap Lock - How to break & mend it...

chubbster

The fuel filler flap locking mechanism is very flimsy - I speak from personal experience.

Having annoyed a fellow motorist with my driving style, I decided to lock my doors internally. I promptly forgot I'd done this and stopped at Tesco for some petrol. Got out of the car and the filler flap wouldn't open (presumably the internal lock will let you open the car door, but keeps the filler flap locked). Didn't realise why it wouldn't open, got frustrated, pulled it and 'ping' - broke the little plastic locking piece.

Luckily the little plastic piece was sitting just under the fuel cap, so I took it home.

When I got home I simply removed the filler flap lock assembly from inside the boot, drilled two small holes - one in the little broken plastic piece and another in the end it had broken off from and connected them back together with a small double-ended screw (ebay). An unintentional bonus is that my lock is now much more secure because it has a metal screw running right though it.

...or you can pay $95+shipping for a new part from Courtesyparts in the USA - or probably more from Nissan UK. Hope this helps someone.

Here's a picture of the whole assembly (the bit that breaks off is on the left)...

fuelthingy1.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What a great topic!

Did this myself yesterday....glad I am not the only one :lol:

Did you manage to keep the little plastic bit? Here's a link to the double-ended screws I bought, in case you want to try a similar repair... CLICK HERE

How did you manage to annoy the other motorist..! :scare:

Erm, sorry, can't remember. I have a range of techniques that I employ to achieve this outcome and I forget which one I used on this particular occasion. It will definitely have been speed-related.