Question about Berk High Flow Cats - Noise/loudness?

Chromatic

I'm hoping with my 2008 HR, That my setup breaks down something like this:

Stock airboxes to the dual throttle bodies with drop in's = 2hp

Catback Invidia gemini changing it from Single to Dual exhaust = 10hp

Berk High Flow Cats = 12-15hp (I think these are going to open this particular setup, up, a great deal).

Tune = x?

So.. 306hp stock at the Fly.. I wouldn't be surprised to see 330hp + .. And around 290 at the Wheels. And a 0-60 (Sub 5 second.. just barely.. but 4.9xx or so).. Quarter Staying in 13's.. maybe with A LOT of practice and traction on a good run with .5 reaction or so.. hitting 13.3/13.4 ..doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

At this point I'm scratching my head at what else to add that's worth the money for more bolt on horsepower... while my Berks are still on the Fedex truck lol. Next comes the Tune -- and the Tune alone is worth 7-8hp by itself with the AF Ratios, etc.. We'll see.

Every motor is just a little different. While they post say 306bhp for this car stock.. Some of them will invariably run 312bhp stock.. others 301bhp and so on..

At the mileage I'm at.. 27k,.. The engine is just now really getting broken in well.. From what I've noticed new cars get a touch faster after 20-40k miles (then slower at 100k+ lol)..

Thing is.. I don't rag this car.. and wouldn't bring it to the Drag strip.. Unless I had a new clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, etc I was about to put in.. Then, I'd feel comfortable making a few passes.. I can tell the super soft tires I put on the car (which I love).. are going to get me 10-12k miles if I'm lucky.. That's ok, If I can continue to get them off Tirerack for half price at $650 I'm ok with that.

I've wondered about those air plates --

http://www.tunerspor...z-03_p4835.html

If they work.. seems like a good investment and not too bad on price to help your cooling and performance in the heat and when you may be running the car a little harder.

Any thoughts on those Diversion plates? (anyone?)

Edited by Chromatic

Thing is even though your Zed is low mileage it's still a used car with know idea how a previous owner drove it on a daily basis (or maybe even how they maintained it if not much history although mine is FSH as I suspect yours might be too).

Only really going to know for sure the power your vehicle has once it's been on a dyno and even then there are differences between different dynos and differences in power depending on temperatures etc. Have a look at the dyno results thread for an interesting read; http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/23450-dyno-results-info-thread/page__st__80#entry1219060

If you where to guess power for my car for instance with the mods I have & standard bhp being originally 276bhp you'd say it was definitely over 300bhp with the mods I've done ~ But it's not.

I just got 293.4bhp@fly which I'm pleased with for the mods I've done and age of the vehicle. :thumbs:

Thing is even though your Zed is low mileage it's still a used car with know idea how a previous owner drove it on a daily basis (or maybe even how they maintained it if not much history although mine is FSH as I suspect yours might be too).

That's the great part.. I know the prev. owner quite well, and Have the history of this car from Purchase new from prev. owner. He also handed me all the Service records from purchased new,.. Everything from Oil change to Brake jobs, (minor or major) was done At his Nissan Dealership. This guy did zero work on this car himself, and was WAY over protective with the service,.. oil changed every 2-3k at nissan with Synthetic Blend,.. All service intervals done at Nissan,.. And I've had this car apart completely to inspect for wear and tear and signs when cars are driven hard -- And this car was driven very lightly. Everything is insanely tight ,.. The tires on the car when I got it showed zero signs of hard cornering, "burnouts",.. hard launches,.. etc. The guy is 44 years old,.. and basically got the car to have something for "looks" to take his business clients around. He is an Executive account manger for the Largest Airport in the world. The carfax history lines up with everything I was given,.. and I spoke with him for 5-6 hours driving him back to his Work the day I bought it,..

While all of that is great,.. it doesn't absolutely guarantee the car was driven lightly.. But it's as good as you get.

Further, the guy ,.. when I mentioned an issue with the Tire feathering.. said right away,.. Ok, I listed the car as pristine/perfect , so we can type something out that says I will pay for Anything Mechanically wrong with the Vehicle period. We did so, and had it notorized with our signatures, and 2 Witness Signatures.

How often do you get someone willing to do that with a Private party used car sell?

So, I firmly believe the Car with 26k miles is mechanically in as good of shape as you can get period. I'm changing it over to full synthetic this week myself.. If I felt the engine was ran particularly hard I would be a little more hesitant in putting a smaller particle lubricant in due to seals, et al.. But I think I got a steal with this car to be honest. A 2008 350Z with 26k for 17k.. That's hard to beat with all it's history documented.

Anyways.. enough about the validity of the car lol.

Only really going to know for sure the power your vehicle has once it's been on a dyno and even then there are differences between different dynos and differences in power depending on temperatures etc. Have a look at the dyno results thread for an interesting read; http://www.350z-uk.c...80#entry1219060

If you where to guess power for my car for instance with the mods I have & standard bhp being originally 276bhp you'd say it was definitely over 300bhp with the mods I've done ~ But it's not.

I just got 293.4bhp@fly which I'm pleased with for the mods I've done and age of the vehicle. :thumbs:

Yes there are variances with Dyno's.. But it's as good as you are going to get in determining power. You used a Dyno that measured power at your Crank? How did you get your Flywheel power over power at the wheels?

As we all know the power at the wheels is really what Car manufacturers should use in their power ratings, as Crank power is not the real world power due to the unavoidable losses through the drivetrain, and even traction/tires, etc.

I do *not* know the list of Modifications of your DE motor so I can't say whether or not I'd say it'd definitely have 14hp more than it's stock rated 287hp, but I'd certainly hope you were pulling over 300hp at the Flywheel given you started at 287hp.

Now if your car (as I mentioned the variances with engine to engine) pulled 276hp (11hp lower than it's stock rating) at the Fly on your dyno,.. Then that proves the point a bit about the variances from engine to engine (and mileage to mileage),.. etc.

Did you ever wonder why you got 11hp less hp than it was rated at , at the fly?

How many miles does your 2003 have? Sadly, HP does go down with wear and tear :( -

I do expect about the HP you are getting at the Fly, at the wheels when I get my tune.. I'll report it with images of the Tune's Dyno sessions to see how close we get. And perhaps 325-330ish at the Fly.

I do wish I had done a Base dyno to see what this engine was running with 26k miles without any perf. addons,.. but we aren't racing in F1 :)