Can anyone recommend good cheap hourly labour rate mechanics/garages in the South of england area?

ostego

Hi,

I was going to take a trip down to the zed shed to have front brake discs & pads, front & rear drop links and compression arm bushings replaced.

I have all of the parts that i bought from Clarke motorsport, but since Keyser has some issues with his house re-build atm and is out of action for a while, I'm stuck with these parts and am not able to fit them myself (have read how easy front pads discs and drop links are meant to be... but am too phased by it and simply wouldn't trust something that I have fitted!)

SO... from what i gather from Abbey Motorsport's quote.... this job is around a 4 hour one. 2 hours for the compression bushings, 1 for the drop links and about 1 for the front brakes.... but I'm on quite a tight budget, and ideally can't exceed about £250 on labour for this, with Abbey's £65+20% VAT, I'm well into the £320 mark, and the same goes to H-Dev. What scares me here is that if they run into some unexpected trouble... this figure can then rise quite rapidly!

Whilst i understand Abbey & H-Dev have their high labour rates given their areas of expertise and skill, the jobs i require doing are relatively "basic" ones, so i figure there would be no harm in getting them done at a garage that charges a cheaper hourly rate more in the field of £50 per hour.

Does anyone know of any mechanics that are good, cheap, and reliable that are in the South West London/Surrey/Berkshire sort of area? Or am i being unrealistic to expect to find a mechanic that charges £50 per hour?

Nice one glrnet £52/hour sounds good! Theyre only 33 miles from me as well, which isn't too bad if i can get cheaper labour and a good quality job! Will just either have to book a day off work of beg them to do it on a saturday, as it seems they only do Mon-Fri!

Bloody hell Briggsy..... Knew stuff was cheaper up there... but that is pretty significant! :p guess even if the job stretched to 5 hours I'd still only save about £75, and would cost me at least that in fuel, so not worth taking it that far!