Roadster roof mould ultimate fix.

Floydbax

OK, so I tried all the usual off the shelf products and fixes I could find online but the green mould kept reappearing so I got a little more creative (thinking-wise) and hit on using this stuff : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hibiscrub-250ml/dp/B001A33VRU/ref=sr_1_1?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1391709441&sr=1-1&keywords=hibiscrub . It's an antibacterial cleanser that surgeons use for scrubbing-up and they're usually pretty clean folk :p . Using a soft nail brush I worked up a foam on the roof rinsed then repeated and finished off with the usual waterproofing stuff you paint on. That was over a month ago and we have had wonderful mould growing conditions all the time since but there's none on my roof. I will update in the future if it does reappear. :teeth:

• Like 1

I like it! Definitely thinking outside the box! I have some of this stuff sitting in a cupboard from when I almost split my head in half (OK it wasn't that bad) and was advised to put it on the wound by the Spanish surgeons, but never used it as the NHS said to leave to wound alone. Great to know I now have a use for it if my soft top ever gets mouldy.

I like it! Definitely thinking outside the box! I have some of this stuff sitting in a cupboard from when I almost split my head in half (OK it wasn't that bad) and was advised to put it on the wound by the Spanish surgeons, but never used it as the NHS said to leave to wound alone. Great to know I now have a use for it if my soft top ever gets mouldy.

OMG :surrender::scare: I'm pretty sure it says on the bottle not to use it on open wounds!!!

Hibiscrub or more importantly its active ingredient chlorhexadine is a very good anti-microbial, but it is also very good at dissolving lots of things. I use it to clean bike grease, permananent ink, spraypaint etc and it will strip away lots of chemicals. Just make sure to reproof the roof like the OP or you might end up with a little spot that just lets water in!

• Like 1

OMG :surrender::scare: I'm pretty sure it says on the bottle not to use it on open wounds!!!

Well the injury was from a swimming pool in a dodgey hotel in Magaluf... they we're probably just being safe.

After reading through some of the reviews on Amazon I guess it is a fairly mild cleanser, seems like a lot of people use it for cleaning their dogs and for skin conditions so the warning is probably just to cover the manufacturer and suppliers backs in the event of any adverse reaction to it. On the roof note - it's been 6 weeks now and where the mould used to return every few days I have to say IT'S STILL NOT COME BACK :teeth: .

• 3 months later...

Tempted to try this as i often park under trees now and get slight greeness on the roof. The autoglym isnt working as a long term fix so may give this a try.

Just worried that it may mark the roof - different material on the 370 roof

Wil370z, there's a difference between proper mould and just the green tinge from parking under trees. Mould is kind of growing inside the material and is really bad for it in the long run leading to rot, holes and leaks etc and unless you kill it (it's a micro-organism) it returns quite quickly. The green tinge from trees will usually just wash off with warm water and is like a surface thing that only occurs because of the stuff that drops onto it. I don't think the stuff I used would do any damage to your roof if you used it, it is after all quite a mild anti-bacterial soap and as long as you use a decent waterproofer afterwards then it should be OK. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Quick update: It's now 6 months since I last resealed my lid and what one would call a great day for washing so I decided to do it today. There was still no sign of any mould at all. I have taken the plunge and used 303 protector this time and to be fair it looks like new after first 'Hibiscrubbing' it again. Yet to see how it compares with the scotchguard I used last time which worked perfectly.