Cranking but no start...

BennyZ

I have had a browse of the forums but thought I would see what people's thoughts maybe...

Last weekend I changed my near side cam cover and rebuilt the car and car started fine however I still required to change my off side cover.

This weekend was turn of the off side cover, managed to finally, found it more fiddly that the near side one...... Went to start it and it cranks but doesn't start. It's like something is stopping it from continuing.

The first thing I did was retrace my steps and checked every connector that I would have removed to ensure they are in and nothing is loose.

Today I tried to start it with the same result however on one attempt it actually cranked over for sometime (20 seconds or so) albeit it very reluctantly and lumpy. When it does crank over I sometimes get white smoke out of huge exhausts so it must be igniting something at some point.

The most frustrating thing is I know it's something small that's preventing it from starting but trying to ascertain what it could be is going it take the time..

Triple check everything is plugged in.

check that you have tightened up all the pipes after the maf.

Also check you reconnected the rubber pipe thats underneath the big plastic one.

but in my mind its definitely something that's not plugged in properly, check by hand not by sight :)

I checked everything by hand and replugged everything. I'm trying to think of a process of elimination of what it could be.

possible faulty crank sensor.

I have read this a few places on various forums but I don't understand how this can be working and then all of a sudden then become faulty (i know stranger things have happened but its alien)

I have ordered a OBD2 reader and hopefully that may through up a error code giving me clearer direction.

I wonder if its the same fault we had - there is an earth that attaches to the front of the CAM chain cover, if you miss that or like I did put it on with a rusty bolt the Coil packs don't fire - crank but no go.

d198e110-cff6-4d2f-80ee-9abe91e2d4a2.jpg

This one :)

Ignore the big wire its the little black one behind it that goes into the loom that causes the problem - Good Luck :thumbs:

O if you have white smoke and she is turning over and "jamming" I would check you have the coil packs in the right order 1 and 3 are the easy ones to reverse - thats the first 2 left side as you look into the engine bay from the front (just a thought)

• Like 1

As in post 2. My youngest son had what sounds a similar problem in his car (not Z) on Sunday. He has been told it's the crank sensor (or crank angle sensor whatever its proper name is). Apparently you need some sort of fault reader to check this.

I wonder if its the same fault we had - there is an earth that attaches to the front of the CAM chain cover, if you miss that or like I did put it on with a rusty bolt the Coil packs don't fire - crank but no go.

d198e110-cff6-4d2f-80ee-9abe91e2d4a2.jpg

This one :)

Ignore the big wire its the little black one behind it that goes into the loom that causes the problem - Good Luck :thumbs:

O if you have white smoke and she is turning over and "jamming" I would check you have the coil packs in the right order 1 and 3 are the easy ones to reverse - thats the first 2 left side as you look into the engine bay from the front (just a thought)

Thanks I will check this also. I used my wireless obd2 reader I got from amazon ( I will update that on another thread.) but mu say works very well.

Seems I have some issues with the throttle body sensor and then also threw a could of potential malfunction.

I think first thing once weather has cleared is check connections to this I case anything got dislodged when moving/ removing the plenum as I kept this bolted to the together.

I will update more as we go along.

I rechecked everything but noticed there was a bit of coolant residue on the throttle sensor connector so I dried and cleaned up the contact points and hey presto it started! (after charging the battery as that went flat!)

The covers have now been changed successfully running smoothly for a short period and then I start getting a misfire. When the EML flashed i run my diagnostic fault scanner and it shows pending faults for PO304 and PO300. When the fault then sticks and registers the error it only shows PO300. strange as it shows PO304 as pending and disappears.

So I'm considering coil pack replacement on cylinder 4 in the first instance as the spark plugs only changed a month ago and then work it back from there. its either going to be coil pack or injector? unless any other suggestions?

Also I need some clarity of what cylinder number for actually is? Is it the middle cylinder on the drivers side (facing the engine, UK Car)??