Oil PSI, differing opinions?

ddcboyle

Hi guys,

I can't seem to find either threads, but around a month ago, my oil PSI was dipping to 0 randomly and fluid warning light came on. After a quick search, a fluid top up seemed the most appropriate (I didn't realise oil burns off?)

After seeing my PSI go back to normal, I was happy. But then came across a few threads,

One person said "Aslong as the oil psi doesn't read minimum or maximum number, your fine"

And another said "at 60mph, in 6th year, the oil PSI should be 60"

Anyone know roughly what it should be reading? My car at 60, 6th gear was around 35-40PSI. Just seems strange theres multiple views on this? Not sure if the oil type would have an effect on the PSI, i.e 5w/30 , 10w/40 etc

I know, another PSI question, just want to clear up the 2 opinions on one page.

One person said "As long as the oil psi doesn't read minimum or maximum number, your're fine"

That person is correct.

That person also happens to have been me, but that's irrelevant :p

Genuinely though, as long as you have pressure there and it's not bottoming out on either scale, then that's all you really need to worry about. Oil level, viscosity and time of day can make a massive difference to the pressure, so just go with somewhere between min and max.

Ah thanks for clearing that up, got a bit worried when my psi differed from "the standard". Yeah ill be checking more regularly now, had no idea oil burnt off that fast.

Sorta leads from one issue to another, now to try learn how to read that silly zed dipstick.......

Check it religiously every week imo, level ground when the car has been sitting overnight so you get an accurate reading. Use the power steering tank as a spirit level. The dipstick isnt hard to read really just pull it out wipe it, put it back in leave it 5 seconds then pull out and read.

Ah thanks for clearing that up, got a bit worried when my psi differed from "the standard". Yeah ill be checking more regularly now, had no idea oil burnt off that fast.

Sorta leads from one issue to another, now to try learn how to read that silly zed dipstick.......

Worst design of any dipstick I have come across,

I use a torch to make sure its back in the hole correctly,

as its so easy to just slide it down the side of the tube and not into it. :scare: :scare:

I mean I've taken it out, wiped, put back in and then the whole things covered in oil again, and I have no idea what is excess and what is the actual oil (and this is leaving it for a few hours)

I blame the designer of the wonky dipstick, no idea why they cant just make it straight like every other dipstick.... Service at Kaizer motor company next month hopefully.