Another exhaust thread....

Space Cadet

Hi

I bought a 370Z at the weekend so I've reinstated my Profile from when I used to be on here years ago when I had a 350Z.

The car will only a weekend cruiser and IMO is lovely as standard therefore I don’t plan to do any mods - other than it could do with a bit more noise!!

I had the Nismo system fitted to the 350Z and it sounded great but I don’t want to go to the hassle and also the expense of fitting a system again.

Are there any simple mods such as just replacing one of the silencers (not sure how many they've got??) or like on the GTRS the Y-piece??

Or will it be a case of replacing just the back-box?

Thanks and good to be back!

Thanks, don’t really want to fit a whole new back-box if I can, was hoping, like mentioned, if its just able to replace a silencer of similar??

Definitely don’t want to fit any induction kits, its exhaust noise I want - just a tad - like a 911 with a sports-exhaust....

I hear what you say about the hassle etc and it's not cheap to get a decent system, but the 370 sounds so much better when you fit a decent CBE I think it's worth doing. I returned mine to stock prior to picking up the Nismo and I couldn't believe how duff it sounded in comparison to the relatively tame Stillen system I had on for most of my time with the car.

I'm no expert but I doubt that anything will really improve the sound except fitting a decent exhaust. You've obviously spent a fair bit of money on a very nice car so why not bite the bullet and endure the brief hassle / expense to make it sound like it should. I doubt you'll regret it. :)

Edited by sipar69

Thanks, you are probably right, I just kind of want to leave the car totally standard though and enjoy it as it is because I've wasted £10,000's in the past messing around with perfectly good cars and also it becomes addictive.

IMO the only thing the 370Z is missing is a bit more of a voice, nothing 'aftermarket' sounding but just as if it came like it as standard.

I went to RJN Motorsport (370Z GT cars, Nissan Playstation academy cars) to have a Nismo CBE fitted to my old 350Z and it sounded perfect and as if the car had come like it as standard. I guess that's what I'm looking for with the 370Z.

I've spoken with RJN again and they may possibly have a Janspeed CBE, or may be just the back-box on its own, apparently it sounds just what I'm after and I trust their opinion. Will be speaking with them further in the NY.

The other alternative I've looked at is a Miltek CBE as have fitted many to previous cars and they all seem to produce an OEM sound - but just a bit MORE - just like I want....

I know where you're coming from. I know some people absolutely love modding and fair play to them, but having dabbled in it with my previous 370, the cost, hassle, occasional risks of something going wrong, insurance, returning the car to stock for resale etc. etc. means that I've decided it's not for me. I'd don't plan to do much if anything at all to the Nismo (fortunately the exhaust sounds fairly decent as it is, otherwise I would definitely would get a different one.

Edited by sipar69

The first question I asked RJN was whether a Nismo exhaust was available retrofit for the 370Z and apparently there isn't. Presumably the exhaust already fitted to the Nismo 370's is not available retrofit (I guess it may be in individual sections through Nissan parts dept. at mega-money.) RJN have designed a system with Janspeed, so will investigate this, or like I say may be the Miltek.

It would've just been so much easier and cheaper if there was a silencer-delete pipe that could be fitted to the standard system (like a de-cat pipe). It wouldn't interfere with the Cats and would just release a little more noise.

While we're on the subject, what is the standard system made up of, from manifold to tail-pipes?

I took it for a spin last night (only bought it on Saturday) and I was really amazed just how quiet the exhaust is, almost all the 'noise' is from the engine and the induction. Obviously this sounds like a really chavvy thing to say but I want my sports car to sound like a sports car - just like a standard 911 for example. A 911 with a factory sports exhaust IMO sounds fantastic but the noise would be too loud for the 370Z.

I'm seriously thinking about fitting some HFK's as I can do this myself and they're not too much money - I don't want to go to the hassle and cost of fitting a full system.

I'm surprised that no companies have designed some silencer delete pipes for the standard system - all the aftermarket systems look to delete the silencers and just leave the back-box but presumably the bore is larger than standard so not interchangeable.

Edited by Space Cadet

• 3 weeks later...

I had the mid-silencers cut out at the weekend and replaced with straight-through pipes, all I can say is how happy I am with the sound now. It's only added say 20% to the sound level and the increase is only really heard at start-up and when under load - when poutling about its almost at normal levels.

For those that don't want to fit a full system or even a back-box then would definitely recommend this, it sounds OEM still but with just a 'bit more!!" and IMO as it should've done out of the factory. It could actually potentially be even louder still and sound OEM.

• 2 months later...

That would mean knowing how to record a video or sound clip on my phone and then download it t'internet.....

Haven't got the time and can't be arsed TBH. As described it just sounds standard but maybe 20% louder under acceleration and at start-up, otherwise it’s the usual almost-silent level.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been told that mid silencers tend to attenuate the higher frequencies so will make the exhaust note raspier. is this your experience? I'm considering taking out my mid silencers and maybe a berks hfc. how much did you pay to get your silencer chopped out?

thanks

p.s a video would be much appreciated. as you said the stock note is good- just too quiet. i feel we need some videos of stock with HFC, stock with delete back box and stock without mid silencer to add to the library of videos. just means people have an option not to spend £1000 on an exhaust!

as for uploading it, use the tapatalk app- you can upload v easily in that :)

It cost £90 cash-in-hand and if anything has made it more raspier rather than the other way around as what you've been told would suggest.

It really isn’t night-n-day like fitting a complete new system; it’s just added a bit "more" of the same noise when starting up and under acceleration.

Edited by Space Cadet

I don't get a chance to drive it as it is therefore won't be 'wasting' my time recording it or being laughed at by my wife doing so......

Yes they cut the silencers out (sort of one-piece and weighed a ton) and then slotted in two separate sleeved sections. Only took half an hour.