Advice wanted on whether to make a claim

Will370z

I hasten to add this is not about me and nothing has happened to Rosie.

A friend of mine at work has an old citron, worth about £300. Its been in the family since new and just had about £1k worth or work done, new clutch etc...

Yesterday someone drove into it in the car park. They left a note and work at the same company and have accepted responsibility. Initial quotes have come in at 1k, as a result the other chap wants to go through the insurance company which is fair enough. The car is not drivable in its current state

Trouble is this will inevitably mean the insurance company will write it off as the cost exceeds market value. Im guessing this will mean he only gets £300. Now i would be tempted to try and buy the car back as its better the devil you know and other cars out there for £300 are likely to be dogs. However this means he will have to fork out the £1k to fix it

I know the wealth of knowledge on this forum so what would you guys recommend. Is the best option to just accept bad luck take the £300 and move on?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers guys

"accept bad luck take the £300 and move on"

this..... i would never have spent the 1k on a £300 runner in the first place... there is little point in buying the car back and dropping another 1k on it...

i guess he could TRY sending all the reciepts for the recent work to the insurance company to see if they will pay him out on it but i doubt it will happen

Edited by SteveM

"accept bad luck take the £300 and move on"

this..... i would never have spent the 1k on a £300 runner in the first place... there is little point in buying the car back and dropping another 1k on it...

^^^^

As above

One of those situations really, insurance will write it off, bottom book, forget the 1k spent on it

Rob

Edited by zxrob

This happened to me a few years ago - my car book value £300-£400 - 15 tonne truck reversed over it :wacko: - it was considerably shorter and lower

The truck driver even commented how good my brakes were :blush:

anyway - offer from their insurance £300..........after a lot of argueing (and continued use of a supplied hire car - which probably cost them another £500 or more - I managed to get £600 off them - claiming that it was not possible to replace the car for £300 etc etc

Agreed, that was my thought. Just hoping for another light at the end of the tunnel for him but i guess the options are limited. Shame as it was a cracking car, well it is literally now too

It can probably be repaired for less than half that amount as repairers inflate the quotes for insurance companies. :surrender:

This happened to me a few years ago - my car book value £300-£400 - 15 tonne truck reversed over it :wacko: - it was considerably shorter and lower

anyway - offer from their insurance £300..........after a lot of argueing (and continued use of a supplied hire car - which probably cost them another £500 or more - I managed to get £600 off them - claiming that it was not possible to replace the car for £300 etc etc

Offer to buy it back now for £100 and you got £500 to repair it. :blush:

Offer to buy it back now for £100 and you got £500 to repair it. :blush:

the words "it'll buff out" - really didn't apply