New Fronts - suggestions & Speed Rating Question

oderuyter

OK not a petrol head in the slightest (well maybe a little) but I have a question I currently have some Bridgestone Potenza RE040 on the fronts, time to get some new tyres as grip is getting **** poor! Couple questions

- What are some good tyres for running around country lanes (Payco can vouch for the roads round our parts) want to spend no more than about £150 a side

- Whats the deal if I get a tyre with a higher speed rating (Currently have W, looking at Y)

I knwow this is pretty open ended, but thought I would check first.....

Thanks in advance

Buy the best tyres you can afford, that's the straight forward and boring answer, I found (as do most people I think) that the Bridgestone REO40's were shocking. The Vred's have a fairly good reputation on here as do the Bridgestone RE050A's and Goodyear Eagle F1's. It comes down to budget I guess and whether you can get those tyres for the cash you have available.

I ran the Falken 452'S for a while and found them a good mid range tyre, but they are light years away from the Michelin Pilot Super Sport I now run. Speedwise I would always go for a W or above, probably a Y as standard. Nissans recommended load rating for a 2007 / 2008 Zed is 91 front and 96 rear I think.

• Like 1

Michelin Pilot Super Sport - http://www.tyre-universe.co.uk/michelin-pilot-super-sport-225-45-zr18-el-normal-tyre.html

Probably the best tyre currently on the market and at a very good price at the moment. Would highly recommend them as would many others on here.

But beware that putting grippy tyres on the fronts only, will change the feel/handling of the car. If you still have RE040 on the rear (poor grip) you will almost definitely find it will oversteer when pushing it.

I'm not saying don't do it as if you drive to the conditions you'll be fine, but I would recommend putting the Super sports on all four corners.

• Like 2

Agree with Sam's comment, be wary if you're changing the fronts only, there's a chance your Zed will behave as he's described. If you can afford to get the rears changed as well and keep all 4 tyres the same do it. If you can't do all 4 tyres now, get the rears changed as soon as you can afford to.

Edited by Bockaaarck

I think if the dealer stuck the Avon ZZ5's on the car and they are fairly new. My leaning would be towards getting a set of Avon ZZ5's on the front also. Just to ensure the car is shod on the same rubber, same tyre and tread design all round. In my view you're better having a decent mid range tyre all round then 2 different brands, tread patterns etc on the front versus the back. The Avon's seem to be reasonably well like by those using them, just be checking a few forums / review sites.

No harm in waiting for a few more responses from some of the other guys though, see what the overall opinion is.

I use Avons, the ZZ3 though, you may find that is a good tyre to swap over to, fantastic levels of grip in the dry, ok in the wet, wear out quicker than average as its a soft tyre, especially on track days, good on price though (shop about).

If it was a case of couldnt afford till next month I would get ZZ3 for the front (or whatever tyre you wanted) and do fronts now and be certain to get the rears next month but if you'r looking at those rears and thinking, "loads of tread left" then, yea, you'r back where you came in and the advice given re handling stands...

Hope this helps... Cheers...