Coilovers and Camber Help Needed

ColinS

Ok so i'm going for a set of Eibach coilovers and am lowering it as much as the local speed bumps allow.

Anyone got pics of Zs at different heights?

More importantly what do you all kow about camber on the Z when dropping it? I've heard (from my Eibach dealer) that they are currently creating shims to deal with the problem at only a few quid each.

And advise appreciated.

Hi Colin,

Welcome to the forum, ive not officially welcomed you so HI!!

Lowering a Zed 40mm or more will knock the Camber out of manufacturers tolerances. You'll be needing rear camber adjusters like these:

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=STICMBR01&c=SU

Ive seen other company's for sell them alot less mind.

Have a "search" on the forum, theres more info on suspension if you hav a look.

Try some of the U.S. sites too, theres tons of info on there too.

Good Luck. :teeth:

Thanks for the welcome and the info.

I have looked abotu and see n the camber adjustment kits but was just wondering when you actually needed them. I see a lot of info about the rears but not much on the front and the fronts are expensive too so i'd rather not have to buy them.

Eibach are telling me they are currently creating shims that will be ready in 5 weeks to solve this problem at only a few quid each. Anyone know about this or experience with shims on other cars?

Thanks

Colin

there really are not shims that can be used that I can think of that would be sufficient.

A 350Z uses an upper a arm and rear control arm - as such, when you lower the car, you not only induce camber but toe in as well. The car can cope with some additional camber but the toe in is what kills the handling and what eats tires quickly.

Your solutions are fairly simple ones though.

For the front, you'll need to fit an adjustable a arm. I personally use the Cusco ones on my car, but there are other good ones too (Stillen makes a nice one, and we're a dealer if you need)

Here are the Cusco:

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?mode ... rodid=1288

These give you admittedly a limited range of "positive" camber adjustment, but it should be sufficient to get most setup back at, or near factory camber specs. My own car is about 2 inches lower than stock and I can get my car to the upper range of "factory spec" if needed. By choice, I run -2 degrees up front as I love the handling. Toe in is factory adjustable up front, so no parts need to be changed

For the rear, the best bet is the SPC kit (marketed as Eibach too, as SPC makes suspension pieces for many other firms out there). This kit consists of an adjustable arm for camber, and an eccentric bolt to adjust rear toe. Here is a link:

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?mode ... rodid=1314

I have not yet tried the Eibach coilovers, so unfortunately I can't comment on that. But, I've been lucky to be able to try about 25 sets of coilovers to date on the Z, so maybe soon we can try the Eibach set too

Adam

there really are not shims that can be used that I can think of that would be sufficient.

A 350Z uses an upper a arm and rear control arm - as such, when you lower the car, you not only induce camber but toe in as well. The car can cope with some additional camber but the toe in is what kills the handling and what eats tires quickly.

For the front, you'll need to fit an adjustable a arm. I personally use the Cusco ones on my car, but there are other good ones too (Stillen makes a nice one, and we're a dealer if you need)

Here are the Cusco:

These give you admittedly a limited range of "positive" camber adjustment, but it should be sufficient to get most setup back at, or near factory camber specs. My own car is about 2 inches lower than stock and I can get my car to the upper range of "factory spec" if needed. By choice, I run -2 degrees up front as I love the handling. Toe in is factory adjustable up front, so no parts need to be changed

For the rear, the best bet is the SPC kit (marketed as Eibach too, as SPC makes suspension pieces for many other firms out there). This kit consists of an adjustable arm for camber, and an eccentric bolt to adjust rear toe. Here is a link:

I have not yet tried the Eibach coilovers, so unfortunately I can't comment on that. But, I've been lucky to be able to try about 25 sets of coilovers to date on the Z, so maybe soon we can try the Eibach set too

Adam

Adam, from your tests, which are the top three in your opinion?

I'd guess, cusco, Teins and Ohlins must be pretty good?

Here are the Cusco:

Adam

Many thanks for your excellent info. I don't mind getting the SPC for the rear but the front is expensive. Do you think i could get away with not using front ones?

Eibach have told me directly that they are currently developing shims which will help but how much help they will be i don't know.

sort of depends on the budget range

No budget really, What in YOUR opinion are the best, regardless cost.

The Zed has loads of potential, but your opinion must count as something as very few people have tried 20+ different combinations o suspensions.

it really will depend on your wheel tire combo and how low you want to drop it

Im trying to envision how shims up front would help....so far, I cannot see it

Roughly how low can i go at the front without having to buy Adjustable A Arms?

The Zed has loads of potential, but your opinion must count as something as very few people have tried 20+ different combinations o suspensions.

For street: Bilstein PSS9, KW V2 and V3, HKS RS

For street with some track use: KW V3, Cusco Zero 2, HKS RS

For more track oriented use, or road use on smooth roads: Ohlins, Zeal Function Xs

Adam

it really will depend on your wheel tire combo and how low you want to drop it

Im trying to envision how shims up front would help....so far, I cannot see it

Roughly how low can i go at the front without having to buy Adjustable A Arms?

Colin - there really is no magic answer here, as every car comes off the factory line with different alignments - where the car starts affects where it ends up after lowering. Also, your wheel and tire combo has a huge affect on alignment as well

For street: Bilstein PSS9, KW V2 and V3, HKS RS

For street with some track use: KW V3, Cusco Zero 2, HKS RS

For more track oriented use, or road use on smooth roads: Ohlins, Zeal Function Xs

Adam

Cheers Adam, thanks for the reply.

Surprised Tein's are not on there. Also would have thought the HKS would have been too hard for road use but then again ive not tried either :teeth:

KW V3 sounds like a good deal. Ohlins and Zeal must be pretty damn hard!