Chilli Pepper Roadster

Dan

Today was the day I went to view the 06 plate Roadster in Chilli Pepper. I took a driver with me because I was pretty certain I was buying it and in fact I had purposely kept the cash to one side for this very car. My driver was first up to the car and as I approached he pointed out the orange peel paintwork on the passenger side. This is a 70 year old guy who has no motor trade experience other than driving cars for me, so if he can spot it anyone can !

On closer inspection the entire car has been painted except for the windscreen surround. This was an 06 plate with 11,000 miles. There was no sign of accident damage so I can only assume it had been vandalised/keyed etc but unfortunately the paintwork was of such a low standard with orange peel ( too much paint applied to the panel ) and dirt trapped under the paint that I just couldn't bring myself to buy it.

I must say, at the risk of upsetting some owners, I didn't like the look of the car at all. Whether it was the Chilli Pepper with Black Hood combination or what I don't know, but it was not a pretty car !

On the bright side I picked up an 05 plate Landcruiser Amazon on the way home, so it wasn't a wasted journey :D

Today was the day I went to view the 06 plate Roadster in Chilli Pepper. I took a driver with me because I was pretty certain I was buying it and in fact I had purposely kept the cash to one side for this very car. My driver was first up to the car and as I approached he pointed out the orange peel paintwork on the passenger side. This is a 70 year old guy who has no motor trade experience other than driving cars for me, so if he can spot it anyone can !

On closer inspection the entire car has been painted except for the windscreen surround. This was an 06 plate with 11,000 miles. There was no sign of accident damage so I can only assume it had been vandalised/keyed etc but unfortunately the paintwork was of such a low standard with orange peel ( too much paint applied to the panel ) and dirt trapped under the paint that I just couldn't bring myself to buy it.

I must say, at the risk of upsetting some owners, I didn't like the look of the car at all. Whether it was the Chilli Pepper with Black Hood combination or what I don't know, but it was not a pretty car !

On the bright side I picked up an 05 plate Landcruiser Amazon on the way home, so it wasn't a wasted journey :D

Was it the first roadster you've seen in the flesh?

You really do wonder if some people walk around with their eyes closed.

If you're unfortunate enough to have a nearly new car needing paint, surely you are firstly going to take it somewhere that has a good reputation, and secondly, have a really close look at it before accepting the work.

Was it the first roadster you've seen in the flesh?

I saw a GM Roadster today, roof up because it was raining, and I couldn't get over how badly the roof seems to fit. It was all gappy as it curved around the side window. I know its probably watertight which is why I say "seems" but frankly it looks sh!te. I can't think of any car in its price range (or indeed any car on sale today, Caterhams excepted) with such a shoddy hood. Bear in mind this was an 07 (not MY07) Zed in perfect nick.

I've fancied an open top for ages and was trying convince myself that a Zed Roadster with my wheels and Nismo zorst would be a better idea than buying a non-Zed but I just don't think I can cope with the top-up looks. Why produce a car as beautiful as the coupe and when you lop the top off saddle it with a lumpy-bumpy hunchback hood and a fat arse? :thumbdown:

Sorry if I've offended the Roadster owners on here - its only my opinion of course! :blush:

I have seen a couple of Roadsters in the flesh, I saw a nice one in Azure recently but it wasn't for sale. I don't think the roof sits very well on the car to be honest and the Red certainly didn't do it any favours. The coupe is definitely better looking, in my opinion, but I do like a soft top so I would put up with it.

I agree about the paintwork. The trouble is the general public don't know how to look at paint. I've had people wanting to part exchange cars they have owned for years and never knew they had been repaired, and yet as soon as you point it out they can see it. I would assume this was an insurance job so the guy was probably just happy to get it back without scratches, or whatever had happened to it. The panel fit was fine so I'm pretty certain it wasn't an accident, and in any case it would be a strange accident to warrant painting the entire car so I'm pretty sure it had been vandalised.

The search continues !