Boot rack for a Roadster

GlenMH

We are planning to take our roadster to France for a couple of weeks in July and don't want to use the "Tardis" feature for packing clothes etc. We want the roof down as much as possible!

Has anyone used a boot rack like one of these: http://www.roofrackshop.co.uk/boot/boot.htm ?

It looks like a great idea to the "want some space to bring booze home" question :)

Has anyone got any experience of these from here or other suppliers?

Glen

:teeth: Yup! We have already proved that we can get 3 boxes of wine in the glove compartment behind the passenger seat and about 30 stubbies in the spare wheel when we have been away for a long weekend... However enough undercrackers/other stuff for 2 weeks away along with a tent etc means that shopping space is limited!

Hence the idea of a boot rack - ONLY for going on holiday with ;) Bit too flat cap & string backed driving gloves for regular use!!

Glen

this http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=400474 gets a bit of a mixed review on pistonheads, know nothing about it but it might help you.

Dont fancy it myself...... :blush:

Hi Mugwump!

Having spent a few years at sea, I can certainly vouch for the "stickyness" of the plastic film. The points being raised about lepton plus cruising in France is a good one as I am planning to do an overnighter down the country next month ;)

Mind you, it is almost worth 60 quid, fill it up with rags and take it for a hoon to find out!! Only a third of the cost of a boot rack and should have fewer interference problems with the tonneau cover over the hood....

Glen

Thats got to work.. Only thing is, would you want it to! Looks all a bit odd to me. Still, style isnt everythign I guess?

I agree - I won't be looking at it much!!

The one concern I have about it is the webbing will pass round the edges of the boot. This could mean the webbing rubbing the paint off the edge :scare: as it vibrates. I have seen alloy wheels that have been burned by a similar process....

I am sure I could come up with a way of preventing it happening... hmmm.

Glen

Last summer we went to England, Belgium and France for a two week holiday.

Z was packed solid with clothes etc.. but half way through the holiday before heading off to Belgium, I sent around half the clothes (worn clothes and whatever we knew we wouldn't use) back home via parcelforce to free up some space. Cost under £20 to do so and that was them insured as well.

Worth thinking about instead of a boot rack, can't see that looking nice at all. Only had the roof up once during the whole holiday when it rained one morning :)

:D Good idea! I am pleased that someone has managed to go for 2 weeks and been roof down for the majority of the time - it proves it is do-able!

I think we are going to have to get used to travelling light and creatively packing all the cubby holes! Good job the tent, thermarests and sleeping bags are all tiny to start with....