Warning lights on! - now sorted!

zabba

Specifically, the Engine Malfunction light, ESP not on and loss of traction lights, all appeared at the same time.

Happened yesterday, I drove down to Goodwood for the Italian themed breakfast club without any issues, got there and drove across a slightly bumpy field with wet long grass, parked up and went to see the cars.

On returning to my car, it struggled to start but it did eventually, and it was then that I noticed the 3 warning lights. I got it off the grass and checked the manual which confirmed fine to drive, but got it home carefully. I left it for a while, tried starting again, and it struggled again, warning lights still on.

A friend suggested that condensation from the wet grass/Hot engine exhaust combo may be the problem with the starting, and other thought is maybe I've knocked some sensor underneath. Does anyone have any ideas?

Following the guide on here, I did the complicated procedure for an error code check, and filmed it but it doesn't make any sense to me, so I will try uploading it later to see if someone can shed any light on it.

Edited by zabba

I'm in Fleet, Hampshire so not too close to Fetcham, will look for that Sticky to see if there is anyone close who might be able to help :)

Will upload video tonight to see if anyone can make sense of the flashing!

I'm in Woking with an OBD reader if you wanted to pop up/down/across/whatever direction it is!

Sounds like a p0340 from what you described which is the cam phase sensor(cam position sensor) there is 2 one for each bank so it may be a slightly different code but your symptoms match exactly what i had recently and that was the drivers side cam sensor fixed it did a reset and lights have stayed off now, i had reset it previously but came back on and if it triggers whilst driving the abs will kick in which is a strange sensation.

I'm in Fleet, Hampshire so not too close to Fetcham, will look for that Sticky to see if there is anyone close who might be able to help :)

I'm in Woking with an OBD reader if you wanted to pop up/down/across/whatever direction it is!

Thanks for the offer, really appreciate it. Will let you know when is good although away this weekend so probably the following week if you're free

Sounds like a p0340 from what you described which is the cam phase sensor(cam position sensor) there is 2 one for each bank so it may be a slightly different code but your symptoms match exactly what i had recently and that was the drivers side cam sensor fixed it did a reset and lights have stayed off now, i had reset it previously but came back on and if it triggers whilst driving the abs will kick in which is a strange sensation.

Interesting, do you know what caused it?

Thanks for the offer, really appreciate it. Will let you know when is good although away this weekend so probably the following week if you're free

I'm free next week except for Tuesday I believe, I'll check with "the boss" tonight though :)

zabba,

In the video you posted it looks like the Check Engine light flashes for about 10 seconds then turns steady. This indicates that one of the System Readiness Tests (SRTs) has not been completed. If you're unfamiliar with the term SRT, type "emission system readiness tests" into your favorite search engine.

• 3 weeks later...

For those who are interested, I had the problem diagnosed, it was a cam sensor that needed replacing and had caused all 3 warning lights, it's been replaced and car now starts promptly and seems a bit more responsive than before.