Stereo downgrade!

Ephraimjohn

Hi all,

A bit of a strange one this. My missus has bought a lovely orange roadster, UK 2005 with the GT pack (I think). It has a Kenwood DNX5220BT touchscreen system, which does nav, music, bluetooth, etc. Thing is, she hates sat nav and hates touchscreens. So, being as I'm the "technical one" she's asked me to sort a replacement.

Given that she has the bose speakers, etc; I'm presuming that the harnesses to convert the inputs and outputs correctly have already been installed. With that in mind, is it likely to be as simple as taking out the touchscreen and replacing with another double DIN unit? Are the converter harnesses universal, or should I be looking at getting her another Kenwood? Would it be worth trying to return the system to the original one? What's the stock system like? Also, originally it would have had a 6 CD multichanger, correct? If so was that built into the headunit or a seperate box somewhere?

Apologies for all the questions, I'm just trying to get a handle on the best way forwards.

Many Thanks,

John

The standard 6 CD changer is in the headunit, and I happen to have one you can try if you want.

In terms of the Kenwood, it does depend on how they wired it in, they may have used converter blocks, or as space is a little tight behind there, they could have cut wires to fit everything. You could go down the single DIN headunit route and gain a cubby slot for storage.

Kenwood do some decent headunits for not bad money, so it might just be easiest to get another one with less functionality :)

Cool, thanks. I guess that the first step is to pop the touchscreen out and take a look to see what's happened behind there, then take it from there.

What's the stock stereo like in terms of quality and function?

Neither here nor there to be honest, it's not amazing, it has a tape deck in it for one! However there's nothing actually wrong with it per se.

The stock Bose headunit's are paired to the car's ECU, so it's not a plug and play item I'm afraid.

Most go for an aftermarket double DIN with bluetooth. Remember the steering wheel patch lead etc :thumbs:

Ahhh, that's good info 14N. She doesn't have steering wheel controls (except for the cruise control), so I don't have to worry about that.

350Ad, it's odd, but touchscreens just don't seem to respond at all well to her. I've tried her with multiple touch screen phones that I've owned, and they only seem to register her press 50% of the time. I can understand why she feels frustrated with them.

I'm really struggling to find a head unit that incorporates an in-dash multichanger (I'm assuming that a seperate multichanger box is going to be a PITA to install space-wise) and USB, so she may have to live without the former. Why she wants both I'm not entirely sure, but she does.

If she gets a bluetooth HU then she'll effectively have a multichanger in her pocket (or handbag) as she could stream music from her phone.

Oh, hold on, that's assuming she's got a smart phone. Most smartphones are touchscreen. Ah... Maybe she hasn't got a smartphone.

Nope - she uses a blackberry. For exactly that reason. She has the cold dead hands of a killer, I reckon. Just as well that I love her, eh?

She's specified buttons on the stereo, so buttons is what she's getting. I might try and get her to take on my ipod classic, and keep that up to date with all her music, that way she has it all to hand. I think she likes the simplicity of a Cd that she can chuck in and know what she's going to get.