Protected No Claims - what's the deal..?

Kuro

Hi all :teeth:

Just after your opinions on this guff, insurance time again.

Well, the quotes aren't too bad, and I have manged to get some under the magic £600 barrier :blush::teeth: (for this first time ever!!!)

Anyway, just wondering if protected NC's is worth it? I mean, you would still have to declare any accidents anway, so what's the point in saying "yes, I have 7 years NC's, but I wrote my car off last month" Are they saying that will be totally ignored!??? :scare: Of course not, you will still get hammered for it.

The protection premium can be as much as £100, is that worth it.

Insurance; I *know* I'm bending over, but do I really need to buy "NC Protection" and touch my freaking toes..? :dry:

Guest prescience

If you have 7 years NC you didn't write you car off last month :lol:

And if I understand you, you can have a protected NC on one car but still have had issues on another - that's the way it works - but you should still say so because they all conflab these days.

Might have missed the exact point you were trying to make in your post - if so, sorry :)

In my previous policies, I have always understood it to be that I can claim up to and including 3 times on my policy for claims without losing my no claims bonus. It means you can get away with having a couple of small prangs a year and keeping your 5+ years of no claims intact.

Also making a claim without protected NCD will lose more than one year no claims discount. I think it can be 2 or 3. not sure. So two prangs in one year and you can be stuffed.

Also if someone bangs into you and they haven't got insurance, you'll be claiming off your own.

Protected NCD is peace of mind. :yawn:

I always protect my no claims as it was explained to me, all I lose if I have a bump is the ability to protect next year, so for £80 it a risk that I sell to the insurance company and it means I get one hit before it hits my pocket, but if like me you have driven for 5 yrs with no issues then the insurance company is £400 to the better (but we cant see into the future as we would not need insurances)

sorry guys I must have been doped up when I wrote that :teeth:

What I meant was;

Let's say I have 7 years protected NC's, fine and dandy. Then I go and stick the Zed into a wall. Ok, so next time I come up for remewal I get to say;

"yes mr elephant/churchill bole, I have 7 years NC's"

"have you had any accidents, claims, or convictions in the last 3 years sir"

"yep, stuck the Zed into a wall last last month"

So! What I am blithering on about ( :yawn: ) is I will still get penalised for having a bang, so isn't the protected (or GUARANTEED now as I have seen it) a complete scam, scammety scam scam? :teeth:

:scare:

Anyway, I have decided to protect it with those nice chaps at Elephant, who were pretty much the cheapest, but had NCD protection for £20 and an excess whereby I would not need to sell a kidney. ;)

sorry guys I must have been doped up when I wrote that :teeth:

What I meant was;

Let's say I have 7 years protected NC's, fine and dandy. Then I go and stick the Zed into a wall. Ok, so next time I come up for remewal I get to say;

"yes mr elephant/churchill bole, I have 7 years NC's"

"have you had any accidents, claims, or convictions in the last 3 years sir"

"yep, stuck the Zed into a wall last last month"

So! What I am blithering on about ( :yawn: ) is I will still get penalised for having a bang, so isn't the protected (or GUARANTEED now as I have seen it) a complete scam, scammety scam scam? :teeth:

:scare:

Anyway, I have decided to protect it with those nice chaps at Elephant, who were pretty much the cheapest, but had NCD protection for £20 and an excess whereby I would not need to sell a kidney. ;)

Kuro, I know it sounds like a scam but for me not to take out the protection and then have a bump means no insurance with Tesco next year...