Lumpy idle - revs drop almost to stall

longsh07

Having some issues with my GT4. It's idling really badly, so much so it's almost stalled a couple of times. It drives ok if you keep the revs up buy when you slow down at a roundabout for example is like its going to stall (and did once).

It's a new problem today and seems to have happened while its been sat in the car park at work.

Pushed all the electrical connections I could get at together and checked fluids but all seem fine. Also wiped the sensor on the intake incase it was that but no joy. Any suggestions welcome...

Does it improve and stabilize with the air con switched on?

Alex. :)

Thanks Alex, I did try that and it didn't make a difference. Ended up leaving it at work then going back later and cleaning up the throttle body. Very black. Still stuttered a bit but revving sorted.

Alex I also suffer idle issue when hot but with a con on it stabalises ? Any idea.

I believe that Nissan recommends that you run with the air con switched on mate.

However a careful TB clean and reset would do no harm, providing you do not mess with the butterfly. :scare:

Alex :)

Hey Alex, just a quick question. When cleaning the butterfly, there is no need to do position reset unless it is moved while the car is switched on or if the throttle body is removed right?

(http://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/502410-350z-throttle-body-reset.html)

Opening the butterfly by hand for a good clean with the battery disconnected or car switched off would be fine correct?

• 2 weeks later...

Also interested on why the butterfly valve cannot be moved, mine has a slightly lumpy idle when warmed up, the rev dial moves ever so slightly and you can feel a bit of vibration through the car.

I think i'm going to clean the throttle body and MAF to see if that resolves it, if not new spark plugs.

Surely a throttle reset would resolve any issues after cleaning?

EDIT: Looking into it I can see a lot of people having problems when cleaning the TB.

Did you resolve your idle longsh07?

Edited by Hooch

Yeah, turned out to be grubby throttle body as per 3rd post.

When cleaning it the first time I did move the butterfly valve a little just to clean around the edge, not much, just enough to be able to wipe out the grub.

Hasn't had any adverse effect as far as I can tell, no lights, not lumpy idle, no high idle.

Im wondering if I had no trouble because I had the battery disconnected while I was cleaning it so the car may have done a throttle position reset upon connecting the battery again.

I did notice when cleaning it the butterfly appears it can move both ways (if that makes sense).

Like if you push it at the top the bottom lifts, but you could also do the reverse. I pushed on the top when cleaning as that is the way the throttle on my 106, my MR2 and my Punto all moved (top goes back, bottom lifts and comes forward).

Im wondering if the reason some have issues is because they moved the butterfly in the wrong direction?