iPod hack v wired fm modulator

jollyranchers

Anyone tried the wired fm modulator and iPod hack ?

Was there any noticeable difference in sound quality ?

Considering getting the wired fm modulator seems less hassle than the iPod hack , anyone got any links to ones they have purchased?

I don't really want any background hissing noise , is the sound ok using these methods ?

I currently use a tape AUX (A Sony labelled one as the cheaper ones are useless), it has some noise.

I haven't don't the AUX hack so I cannot comment on how much noise that has.

I have used the FM things and they are far worse than the tape AUX I am using at the moment.

I did see someone post up about a Bluetooth device you can use after doing the AUX hack but you can only Bluetooth to one thing at a time making the in car Bluetooth redundant.

In order of quality, from utter rubbish to acceptable to superb:

Tape converter

FM modulator

Massive gap

Bigger than that

Even bigger still

Bose hack

New stereo

No contest, really. I tried the tape thing first and discovered why people stopped listening to tapes as soon as they could (horrible magnetic twangy sound), then the FM thing and discovered that we have too many radio stations in this country for it to work properly and they're very underpowered, and then once I'd finished wasting my money I bought a new head unit and all was wonderful with the world. No longer did my iPod sound like it was stuck in a jar with the lid on, nor crackling every couple of mins: It sounded like it was bloody supposed to.

Nice, twice.

• Like 1

Ah didn't realise the FM modulator was different to the transmitter.

I have tried 2 tape aux's and one was utter rubbish, the other was worlds apart, was just under cd quality but did have quite a bit of noise.

I will be doing the Bose hack soon enough.

• 1 month later...