supercharger?

zeedriver

Not sure, he said he will come down to Manchester with the car on the day, but in the mean time want it checked out Nottingham or Newcastle I think

Christ defiantly from London :p:lol: , anywhere above watford is up north.

Notts to Newcastle about 3hours

if it's newcastle pm bigphil ;) he may be able to help

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest prescience
What would you do Sarnie get it checked out first or leave it well alone?

I would pay Dorian or Spill to come with you. How many supercharged zed has an RAC seen? :wacko:

;) but by far the best advice on this thread is to get a car and get the kit fitted yourself - there are way too many unknowns here.

Try just this one for size, you turn up and the S/C is clattering away (Vortech's clatter) you will have no idea (and neither would I, neither would BigPhil and neither would TDi) whether it was normal clatter (they vary tremendously) or it was worsening over time due to jackshaft wear on the S/C (this happens). Trust me, you have to live with it to get to know stock noises and changes from stock noises.

You would have no warranty with Vortech if the jackshaft bearings are shot and you could be into big bucks straightaway.

Alternatively, has the oil been changed every 3k miles and more importantly the oil squirter filter to the blower cleaned (with compressed air) at same interval - if that is clogged, it could go bang any time due to oils starvation to the S/C.

More pragmatically,are there spare belts with it - £100 to import (I'm not joking); do you know how to set back to stock if a belt breaks - fair enough you can ask someone for advice here.

It needs a recent dyno plot, not for power but to show that AFR is acceptable and not running lean - Spill had problems with his running lean IIRC

IMO this is a bad idea - sorry :blush:

What would you do Sarnie get it checked out first or leave it well alone?

I would pay Dorian or Spill to come with you. How many supercharged zed has an RAC seen? :wacko:

;) but by far the best advice on this thread is to get a car and get the kit fitted yourself - there are way too many unknowns here.

Try just this one for size, you turn up and the S/C is clattering away (Vortech's clatter) you will have no idea (and neither would I, neither would BigPhil and neither would TDi) whether it was normal clatter (they vary tremendously) or it was worsening over time due to jackshaft wear on the S/C (this happens). Trust me, you have to live with it to get to know stock noises and changes from stock noises.

You would have no warranty with Vortech if the jackshaft bearings are shot and you could be into big bucks straightaway.

Alternatively, has the oil been changed every 3k miles and more importantly the oil squirter filter to the blower cleaned (with compressed air) at same interval - if that is clogged, it could go bang any time due to oils starvation to the S/C.

More pragmatically,are there spare belts with it - £100 to import (I'm not joking); do you know how to set back to stock if a belt breaks - fair enough you can ask someone for advice here.

It needs a recent dyno plot, not for power but to show that AFR is acceptable and not running lean - Spill had problems with his running lean IIRC

Tech stuff is over my head but sounds like perfect advice especially the last sentence imo :)

The guys like Dorian and Spill have been there and bought the t-shirt - they know their stuff! Seriously, Jay, unless you like to gamble I'd give this one a wide berth.

Now just think about your Zed having the muscle to back up those pimped out looks....... B)

Agree, Agree, Agree neither myself or Dorian would be able to say if the SC is OK as they all vary immensely, what I was suggesting, if your heart is set on this car, that prior to inspection you have it put on a dyno at a respected tuners who would be able to give a plot of all readings and most importantly AFR mine was running 16:1, however I still believe that the someone has looked at this car for performance as one of the pictures does show a AEM gauge which again this wouldn't be fitted for bling.

The noise thing is spot on, it does clatter, chatter whatever, and you do get used to the noises, BTW my oil at the moment is being changed approx every 300miles :scare: 10w50 it gets changed when the clatter gets louder with an attributed lumpy idle.

......and IMHO Dorians first and last lines are spot on, do it yourself, don't buy this car too many unknowns,

and sorry to whoever owns it :blush: