2007 MINI Cooper S VS Z

Sols

Welcome!

Admittedly I can't see this video from work, but I had a go at one of those GP Works thingies with 218bhp, and while it was swift, it wasn't a match for the Zed. In 2nd and 3rd it would stay with me until the last 1k rpm and then from 4th onwards it was a gentle pull away, but comfortable. But a B road thrash would be interesting......

I dont know but have a gander at the video when you get a chance. I think the race was against a 280bhp zed and thats why the mini pulled.

Will do. 280bhp Zed or otherwise, the 0-60 times are the same as the 296bhp ones due to a random bit of extra weight they carry. Could be down to poor Zed driving with gear changes lighting the traction control up like christmas in Chav's Ville! ;) But get rolling with a GP Works and it's good fun! :D;)

GP works is a bit extreme, similar to a Zed as they have only 2 seats :D

im impressed because this is a normal 2007 mini cooper s. Your gona have to wait till you can view the video to see what i mean.

ohh and the MINI JCW package when the official tuning package comes out is supposed to offer 240bhp and in a car that weighs just over 1100kg i bet it will shift :p

GP works is a bit extreme, similar to a Zed as they have only 2 seats :D

im impressed because this is a normal 2007 mini cooper s. Your gona have to wait till you can view the video to see what i mean.

ohh and the MINI JCW package when the official tuning package comes out is supposed to offer 240bhp and in a car that weighs just over 1100kg i bet it will shift :p

Yep, it will shift, but a lot depends on traction (FWD), gearing (5 spd?) and balance as to how it performs in the real world. It'll probably cost Zed money too!! ;)

Should we presume you're currently a BMW 1/2 Series owner then? ;):p

Hmm a standard MCS is about 30 bhp ton down on a standard 05 spec Z (150/ton vs 180/ton) so Im guessing the mini has had work done, or the Z isnt being pushed.

One of my friends has one of these, and they are a great car, almost feel glued to the road.

Should we presume you're currently a BMW 1/2 Series owner then?

Ha ha that made me laugh out loud, no just a car enthusiast ;)

Hmm a standard MCS is about 30 bhp ton down on a standard 05 spec Z (150/ton vs 180/ton)

There have been a couple of owners that have dyno'd thier cars and all are reporting just over 200bhp whiich brings the power figures back in line.

However IMO the Zed sounds awesome and for that alone and the looks i really love it however its hard to igonore the pace of the cooper S

The easiest way of sorting the quandry in your mind is drive the two. Very different (my Mum has an 06 MCS) and I think you'll like one a lot more than the other depending on what your personal preference is. The Zed is a great car IMO.

What are you driving now, wanting a Zed?? :)

1.6 ford focus :headhurt:

i really want a Zed but ive been hearing great things about the 07 MCS, and its a complety different car to the 06 so i dunno. I think i wana go from a mini to the zed because ill have more experince driving and then can move on to rear wheel drive.

Is the Zed really tail happy in the wet, coz its always raining down here in london.

Depends how hard you push it.

The stability control is very good on the Z, and usually sorts things out without too much fuss, but if you really give it something to complain about in the wet, it will bite you.

While the stability control is very good, it cant defy the laws of physics, so stick it into a corner too hard planting too much power in the wet, and it will get messy.

Whe i drove the Minim I though on a-roads and b-roads, it is just too skittish, jumping around the road all over the place... the suspension is too hard, and when you ask the Mini Dealer... they say it is a Mini , selling point and follows the classic Mini handling...

I say it is downright awfull, and a pain to drive for long periods... and the mini classic I am sure handles better than that germanic thing...

Short wheel base and lots of power, means once the error has been done, there is no time to correct it...less stability, etc...

Long Wheel base the behaviour becomes more predictable and if the back goes you have time to correct it...

Go from a high powered, front wheel drive, short wheel base, car and you will get loads of little bad habits, which you might be able to get away with a front wheel drive car... and then change to a RR wheel drive car and those little bad habits will make your driving very interesting...

Go for the Zed, ... respect it at first, and slowly and steadily push the boundary bit by bit... it will be more rewarding...

Whe i drove the Minim I though on a-roads and b-roads, it is just too skittish, jumping around the road all over the place... the suspension is too hard, and when you ask the Mini Dealer... they say it is a Mini , selling point and follows the classic Mini handling...

I say it is downright awfull, and a pain to drive for long periods... and the mini classic I am sure handles better than that germanic thing...

Short wheel base and lots of power, means once the error has been done, there is no time to correct it...less stability, etc...

Long Wheel base the behaviour becomes more predictable and if the back goes you have time to correct it...

Go from a high powered, front wheel drive, short wheel base, car and you will get loads of little bad habits, which you might be able to get away with a front wheel drive car... and then change to a RR wheel drive car and those little bad habits will make your driving very interesting...

Go for the Zed, ... respect it at first, and slowly and steadily push the boundary bit by bit... it will be more rewarding...

Zzzzzz.... I do so enjoy reading your truthful yet informative nuggets of gold. I imagine that I'm sitting 12,000 feet up in the Himalayas in some ancient temple, learning mystic arts from a 200 year old Buddhist monk! :) Keep up the good work! :thumbs:

+1, hit the nail on the head for me. Oh, and in the previous one the SC did my head in and gave nowhere near enough gain to balance it out.

Take a Zed on a course where you can learn about it for a day (Carlimits etc) and you'll find you have to push it a lot harder than you think to get it way out of shape. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think that mini is standard, either that or the driver in the Zed doesn't know how to shift. I admit that with the amount of power and it being lighter that they'll be pretty darn quick, but i really can't see how it will out drag a 350z especially as the speed increases. On that vid the mini continues to pull away?

Anyway, who wins doesn't really matter.. Ive only driven a Mini one and i thought it was ok, didnt like the plastic dash or long gearing though.

• 4 weeks later...