Ipod/Iphone bose hack

gareth29

I am admitting defeat in trying to get my samsung phone to work with the z's bluetooth and I am going to swap it for my wifes iphone 3gs - she seems quite pleased! This means i can use the iphone to store my music and i can then play it thru the bose. Anyway i have a few questions -

Now the answers may seem obvious to some but;

which lead do i need to connect it?

does it connect via the headhone socket or the charging socket?

will the tape player continue to work?

can the iphone be charged at the same time?

Sorry i the answers are out there already, but i have looked.

Righty-o

1. Buy a 3.5mm to 3.5mm headphone socket, sometimes called Aux in cable and perform the surgery required. Its not hard, but just take your time!

2. This connects to the headphone socket on the iphone (or any other phone for that matter that has a standard headphone socket)

3. Theres 2 ways of doing it. In this post of the guide http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/45398-bose-phono-ipod-hack-guide/#entry686203 if you remove the spring and slider as shown, you can just push tape whenever you want and it will switch to that input. This of course means you've disabled the tape deck. If you kept this in place, you would need a empty tape that just has the reels but no tape to sit in there all the time when you wanted to play your iphone music. Also, Husky says to cut the tracks (in the same post). Don't do this if you want the tape deck to actually work.

4. Yes it can

B1365099635545698_4.jpg

but this is a separate mod that involved wiring in a cig lighter extension socket with a USB charger inserted into this and then the iphone USB cables plugged into that. The Bose unit itself cant charge the iPhone.

I did the entire mod shown http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/45398-bose-phono-ipod-hack-guide/page__st__100#entry1038309 in a day. Just make a list of parts, double check it and get it all done.

You will get interference however if your charging and playing music. Havent pinned down why precisely, but as I have an iPhone 5, im blaming it on the two ports being very close to each other and as such there is EMI being emitted from the charger socket which is causing the feedback on the aux jack.

Don't suppose youre near Suffolk?

Edited by cs2000

As above, once the hack is complete using a 3.5mm jack you can run any phone/mp3 player through the bose system using the onboard headphone socket. So as far as the device is concerned you are just using headphones. So shouldn't be a need to swap phones with the other half, unless you want a 3GS of course.

Matt :)