Advice on connections please

d95gas

Just purchased a 2005 zed, GT model that had the Bose system installed. The Bose headunit has been removed and replaced with a "Pioneer AVIC" unit.

I am led to believe that all correct harnesses were used for the steering wheel controls, etc and it does have the USB/Ipod cable in place.

However, playing around with fade and balance last night, I discovered that the fade and balance is all over the place.

Move the control to front right and I get both rear speakers, move to front left and I get front left plus one other.

So before I rip it all out on Saturday and start again, the question I have is:

"Is it possible to get the speaker connections or the output/input wrong when putting this all together with the correct aftermarket looms ?"

Just trying to get an idea of what may be the issue, before I start.

Appreciate any response.

Thanks

Graeme

Sounds like the RCAs are just plugged in wrong.

Red/white = fronts

Yellow/black = rears

Bit of a pain to get it out just to swap them around, how is your volume?

If you have to crank it up to almost full then consider splicing your RCA connectors while you have everything out, there is a good guide here - http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/58947-reduced-sound-out-put-after-replacing-oe-bose/page__fromsearch__1

^^^^^ What Dave said ^^^^^

My replacement HU only had the red and white RCA inputs and Halfrauds made a right bodge job when fitting it. I had similar results with my fader/balance. Making the changes listed in the thread Dave links to made a massive difference and improvement.

Cheers Guys, superb information there and hopefully (fingers crossed) its just a case of swapping the RCA's. Volume wise I initially THOUGHT it was ok, but was conscious of the fact last night that I seemed to be turning the volume up a heck of a lot just to get some useable noise from it. So will take a look at the guide and carry out the modification, I do like some decent volume in the car, and it may even help me over come the droning on the exhaust :D

I shall report back Sunday.

I am of course assuming....... Front bezel off the Pioneer and should reveal some screws to pull the unit out OR is it going to be the whole of the center panel has to come out........ Hoping not.

Thanks again chaps

Graeme

Cheers Bud, ok better start Saturday afternoon :) on the positive side, it will give me chance to hoover out all the crap that fills the little joints up, etc and get her spick and span.

Also looking forward to getting another piece of kit next week :teeth:

Yeah getting the unit out shouldn't be too tricky.

Be aware there are 2 ways it may be fitted -

1. It may be attached to the centre console as the Bose is

2. It may be screwed into the Bose fixings and attached to the body of the car

Either way will become apparent as you remove the centre console, each way has its benefits/drawbacks....

Also looking forward to getting another piece of kit next week :teeth:

:thumbs::)

Also helps if you use a magnetic tipped screwdriver for all the 'hidden' screws. Saves the neighbours coming out enquiring what al lthe foul language is for when one of those little screws drops off the end of your screwdriver..... :blush:

Well Sunday was a good day, managed to get the dash stripped down and the headunit removed......and what a shock.......Never seen so much "Sellotape" in an install :scare:. The rats nest of wires took a good 15mins to sort out finding out what went where.

The installer had made life harder for themselves by not only installing the relevant connectors and add-on's for the headunit conversion (the standard 350 one's) but had also added in a "Autoleads PC9-460 RCA phono line level signal booster" and a "Ground loop isolator" which only added to the bulk of cabling, along with 3 additional phono patch leads of one description or another to connect all this up........here's the offending articles:

pc9-460.jpgAGLI.jpg

So the easiest thing to do was take everything out, start from scratch without the above two items, and see what we have from there. On wiring up everything as it should of been, I had no output to the front right speaker, turned out to be a dodgy phone. Ran the engine to check for any background noise, and found nothing, just perfect audio and everything coming out of where it was supposed to.

So the next job was to follow the advice of the forum, and do the "Buster" conversion on the phono lines, chopping the plugs and soldering the wires: http://www.350z-uk.c...__fromsearch__1

This all worked out perfect, not only did my volume increase significantly (Which is what the line booster above was supposed to do I guess), it also got rid of the dodgy phono plug, and made the whole job a lot neater.

Everything back together and out for a road test and just hope that I didn't need the ground loop isolator. As it was, it was perfect, no engine noise or anything, so I don't really understand why it was put in........

Thanks to the advice and guides of the forum, and thanks to Buster's ingenuity in the first place in finding out about getting rid of the phono plugs :teeth:

Graeme