Front & Rear Camera Install

fellsteruk

Hello all,

Looking for some pointers, also if this is a crazy idea that wont work feel free to let me know...

I have the Alpine iX-W407BT head unit and have ordered the following camera to install as my reverse camera (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-REAR-VIEW-REVERSE-CAMERA-FOR-NISSAN-350Z-Fairlady-/260823513124?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3cba4af824)

My head unit only allows one camera input however i also want to buy the following camera (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Reversing-Rear-View-Camera-Night-Vision-Backup-Parking-Sensor-Kit-Waterproof-/121138288028?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item1c3467959c )

and mount in the front bumper for a forward view camera.

I would then like to have a camera selector switch in the dash so when the head unit is in camera mode, I am able to toggle between the front and rear camera, the difficult bit or the bit i am struggling with is the switch, been struggling to find a video switch which would fit in the blank next to the heated seats switch or somewhere on the dash that doesn't look daft.

SO. Am i mad to want this and if not how best do you think i achieve it/what's the best switch to use?

Thanks

what if you connect both cameras together at some kind of 3 way switch... so then you can flick switch into pos 1 to view front camera, pos2 rear camera and pos3 sends signal to both cameras at same time = both of them on your screen? Thats if your HU will allow that :lol: and Pos4 is OFF so cameras dont work all the time

Something like that:

1_zps9c543818.jpg

my skills in Paint are just amazing :lol:

plenty of vehicles fitted with cameras front and rear both sides and internal these days so not a crazy idea ,although mostly these are fitted with a view to recording for incident evidence ,RTC ,security ,passenger or driver protection etc.

First thing i note on the rear view camera spec is that it operates on NTSC which is not usual for the Uk checking the intended front camera spec it is usual PAL type ,you may find your HU can deal with both but is usual that even if so then you would use setup to select ONE mode only for use at once maybe you should check before install.

Also the normal rear view set up would be auto switching via a 12v feed switching on when revers is selected which would then activate screen camera input this is usually done via reverse light circuit ,you could do as you say and run a 12v feed via a switch if that was something you wished to do, same on the front really but with only 1x camera input you would just need to split the video iinput with an adapter most are usually RCA type so would be easy enough

Whats the real use for the front camera if i may ask ?

Thanks for the advice guys..

I was thinking of a switch for the video feed itself but as you have said I could just "somehow" connect both cameras to the head units single input and put the power for both units on a switch instead as I can easily find a 3 way rocker switch for the power.

My head unit "according to the manual" will do as you have suggested and switch to camera when u go in reverse however I have enabled the camera on it and it doesn't so I guess I need to play about with the wiring for the head unit. The unit also always you to view the camera at any time just by going into the camera mode which I kinda where my requirement comes from.

Sad to say however after years of driving a Primera and qashqai I am dependant on the rear view camera for parking. That said I have been getting on fine in the Z so far so I guess I could manage but hey it's a gadget I want to install ;) I am still driving a QQ now and going from something so high to a Z "very low" I am always wondering how much room I have up front "I am sure this will get better with time" anyway I like the idea of having a rear and front camera for when I park to get in the tight spaces.

To complicated things "I think" I guess I need to be able to run a two camera system, have both cameras selectable on a rocker switch "rear being default" but also for the camera to come on as you suggested when in reverse but I guess it would go off as soon as I take it out of reverse...

I checked and my headunit will do both ntsc and pal but only one at a time! Not order the 2nd camera yet so will make sure it's the same as the first :) in my head it sounded like a simple thing to do but now I am not too sure :) all help and advice welcome

Just found these for audio, but I guess they would work for a video signal as its all the same cable anyway isn't it, if it works this would let me connect the two video feeds to the single head unit input ;)

Edited by fellsteruk

what if you connect both cameras together at some kind of 3 way switch... so then you can flick switch into pos 1 to view front camera, pos2 rear camera and pos3 sends signal to both cameras at same time = both of them on your screen? Thats if your HU will allow that :lol: and Pos4 is OFF so cameras dont work all the time

Something like that:

1_zps9c543818.jpg

my skills in Paint are just amazing :lol:

Your a talented man mate haha

• Like 1

Far easier to wire the power for the rear camera to the reverse light loom ;)

So when your reverse light us on the rear camera is on. For the front one you would need a manual switch for power on. You then just run the signal wire to the HU so when the camera is on the signal comes through and the HU switches to camera view.

Only thing that might confuse it is if you are in reverse AND flick the switch.

:thumbs:

Well it took almost all day but i got the reverse camera installed, just waiting for the front camera to come and that will go in next :) Whilst i was at it i also installed a USB connector in the lift up arm rest:

IMG_0056.jpgIMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

Edited by fellsteruk