Drifting the zed (newbie)

parello9

Basically I'm just wondering if people on here drift their zed's alot?

I have santa pod up the road from me and thought it would be fun to learn the car etc.

I'm still not saying i want to do it but just wondering the kind of costs and stuff?

also how many spare tyres will you need? and what size is best do people think?

Is it just best to get crappy part worns to drift on or?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks

There's a fair few people on here who drift their 350's.

A day at pod is £60 if you book in advance or £70 on the day. you can fit 4 18's with tyres, jack, tube of cable ties, small tool kit, oil, 5ltr fuel can, block of wood, lunch and a breaker bar into the car with you to go down. You can also ratchet strap one wheel to the roof and one to the boot deck if you really need wheels.

I use a tank of fuel for a pod day, but that includes driving up and back from Woking.

Theres a few of us on here that get sideways from what ive seen

Im not a professional or competetion goer but i tend to have a drift day once a month down norfolk arena

Matt Dedman on here competes in the Fueltopia Barrel sprint and this year gymkhana grid event

(He Beat me to it) ^^ :p

I think BDC Driver Ian 'Bizz' Phillips (apologise if thats wrong) is currently building a LS powered 350z based drift car

Theres a few more but i cant recall usernames

Regarding wheels due to the small area inside the much loved Z i have to have a support car with me to carry and the rule is as many tyres as you bring, Most drift days have a van selling cheap rubber for drifting (ie not road legal) How much you actually use depends on the day and your driving

Ive had days at norfolk using a set of tyres in 4-5 runs (5mins each) then ive had days that im doing a set every outing

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1

I've just been looking on the pod site next one is 3rd July, would be good to just see how people get on i suppose as well..

The main thing i want to know now though is what tyres i need?

i have 245/45/18 i think on the back now...

Should i just get some part worns? brand new? sames size etc??:)

Go to a local garage and get part worns or just about illegal tyres and some spare wheels dont go with just ya road wheels down there, 245 should be a good size to start with anything smaller and the 350z tends to eat them alot faster i found when running 215/205 :p

On july 13th there is a charity day at norfolk arena normal practise in the day time which i will be driving in my Z then the evening is a competion format which i think some BDC drivers are taking part in

All free entry just might get harrased by someone with a bucket asking for change for the charity

Edited by StevoD

if you go down to your local tyre supplier and ask to have a rummage through their scrap tyre piles you can normally get some good victims. A few local to me won't let people do it as they always leave the place a mess, so whenever I go down I try to leave the piles tidier than when I arrived, to such a degree that some of them now call me when they have really good ones come in.

It's all about making friends :)

StevoD beat me this time! :lol:

Edited by Dedman
  • Like 1

another note is you have to be cautious of you fellow drift vultures trying to buy your cheap wheels you find for drifting before you do as 5x114 18" seem to the most expensive secondhand wheel market atm

Aint that right Dedman

• Like 1

another note is you have to be cautious of you fellow drift vultures trying to buy your cheap wheels you find for drifting before you do as 5x114 18" seem to the most expensive secondhand wheel market atm

Aint that right Dedman

Making friends and all that! :D

• Like 1

thanks for the help guys :)

so if i wanted to start playing the best start would be get some other wheels and just keep replacing the tyres with part worns

Im guna have to find out how much part worns are now

Thanks again guys

thanks for the help guys :)

so if i wanted to start playing the best start would be get some other wheels and just keep replacing the tyres with part worns

Im guna have to find out how much part worns are now

Thanks again guys

most tyre places will give you scraps for free. Normally you can get some with 2mm on them which will last a few laps. Spare wheels are a must, you'll almost never be able to drive home on the same set of tyres you drift on.