Dead battery, odd symptoms....

ds2000

Hi folks, just wondering if this is normal behaviour on a car

I've replaced the clockspring on my 350 as I carelessly killed it last year when I rebushed the steering rack. All went well, there's only one place all the cables can go and the new clockspring is the exact same part number so it's not that.

However, when I reconnected the battery everything on the car was off and all good and charging, I turned the ignition to test the horn but the the battery was still too flat. I take the key out of the ignition and every time the charger trickles, the headlight relay tries to initialise the lights. I've taken the battery completely off the car and its charging in the garage.

I'm assuming this is down to the battery being flat and the electronics getting confused? So I should just wait it out?

In the interests of science I removed all the connections and indicator stalks, clockspring and dial power and the car repeats the same as above..... Just interested really if anyone else has seen this odd behaviour from a flat battery?

It's only happening due to low voltage in the system. Fully charge or replace your battery and it will be back to normal. Make sure your battery has a good capacity after charging (most garages has equipment to actually measure this).Otherwise disconnecting the switches will not make difference as all these functions controlled by your BCM and/or IPDM computers and they won't work properly under 10.5V. I hope this helped a little bit ;) .

Does sound strange, but the Zed does seem to create a lot of really strange issues when a battery is dying, there are a huge amount of electronics in this car and they simply don't like low voltages/amperages.

You can take the battery to Halfords and they can test the cells to see if its on its way out or not. The test is free and takes 1-2 mins all in at most.

Thanks folks, all fully charged, everything working perfectly, healthy charge. Car had been standing 6 weeks while I was on holiday.

More importantly the clock spring replacement has worked perfectly, mot Friday :oD