Staring a 800mile bike today!!

gangzoom

Morning all!!

It's a lovely sunny day here at Land's End and am about to set off on a bike ride to John o'Groats with a few mates. It's going to take 10 days and on the drive down we started to realise how far it is....8752899156_312b804187_o.jpg

Looking at Google maps also helped to confirm far we have to go!!

8752906860_53e45bac74_c.jpg

Unfortunately I cannot do the whole ride due to work commitments but doing 60% in total..So stage one awaits, only a couple of 9% drags between us and some beers at the end of the day :)

8752897988_e00cbd512d_c.jpg

If anyone would like to help us raise some money for Dementia Care UK that would be much appreciated, as said I'm only doing 60% of the ride but the rest of the lads are doing the whole thing, so any contribution would be appreciate!!

...better get riding, hoping for tail wind all the way!!

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update, have just completed LEJOG (Land's End to John O'Groats) on a pedal bike.

I ended up doing just under 500 miles over 5 days and the rest of the lads who did the whole thing did over 900 miles in 10 days!!!

116 miles was the longest day, out of Moffatt, blasted past Glasgow and ended up north of Loch Lommand. Managed to some how sustain an average speed of nearly 16mph over some decent hills.

8874808348_91fc313710_b.jpg

Didn't have to stop on any hill, but the monster at Drumnadrochit out of LochNess nearly killed me, 10-15% gradient over 2.5 miles.

Best bit was smashing it into Fort William at over 30mph as we all had unplanned 3 mile sprint to a non existent finishing line.

We were lucky in having a support van (thanks to our other halfs) but saw lots of people doing it unsupported!! Its defiantly a once in a life time event but have really opened our eyes what the human body can do when pushed.

The car is defiantly getting less use these days, after all I cannot really justify driving 10-20 miles to get to somewhere when I know I can now cover 100miles+ without problems on a pedal bike!!! Already planning the next challenge, probably a route trip across the Alps or California :)

Plenty more photos to come but just want to get home and sleep in my own bed now!!

8874797610_584f8dcaac_b.jpg