Any Experience With a Mini Cooper S John Cooper Works

greido

I'm still on the lookout for a new car for my girlfriend, we basically need a second car a few times a week that will be good to drive and have minimal depreciation, had previously looked at a Nissan 370z or BMW 635D, both looked good and I've been looking for a good example of both but now she's seen a 2009 Mini Cooper S JCW which she likes the look of, does anyone here have any experience of these cars or any opinions?

Following a fair few Google searches it looks good fun to drive and pretty quick, also, if bought well, I think would be depreciation friendly.

I upgraded from a 2002 Mini Cooper s modified to 220 bhp. Not much slower than the z with the weight difference and handled like a go kart. I miss it a bit in all honesty

Minitorque.com is the place to be for info mate

Edited by Slosh

My old lady had a cooper mk1 and now has a cooper S mk2. She preferred the cooper as in her words it was more raw. I would agree with her. I would imagine that from what I've read on the JCW that it would be more like the cooper in character and obviously a fair bit quicker. They have a lovely pop crackle on the overrun!

The only experience I've had was with a 2004 Mini Cooper S JCW Hartge - just a test drive but was pretty awesome IMO. It was putting out around 255bhp and went like stink! Not recommended if you're like me with a large frame... great little drivers car but not the most practical.

I used to sell a lot of Cooper S Minis but stopped due to the fact that the were so many issues with the damn things!!! There is an issue with the hydraulic tensioner on the timing chain that'll destroy the engine in no time, head gaskets are a real weak point, gearbox is made of chocolate................and all these issues were on sub 30k mile cars!!

After the last 3 all cost me a fortune to repair I will no longer sell the evil creatures but this is just my 2p worth :-)