Air con re-gassing on an 04???

atchi123

Hi

My Zed is in for a service and MOT, its an 04 plate and they are saying that the air-con needs re-gassing as its not cold enough. Now I have noticed that its not exactly freezing air-con but its ok and surely aircon re-gassing shouldn't be required this early in a cars life?! Quoted me £89 for it...

Any thoughts, is this a known issue?

Ta

Steve

The car had 2700 miles on the clock when i got it and has only done just over 10k now and aircon use has been light by me since i have had it. Not going to get them to do it as I reckon its fine. Will check it over the summer and see how its getting on. tks for the replies.

it always good practice to use the air con once a week over the winter to keep all the rubber seals in good order

Yep and to stop bacteria breeding in your system :thumbdown:

Using that aircon cleaner once in a while is good too!

Its also your choice how often do you use the air con does it essentially need to be a few degrees cooler to make you happy :blush: , IMO I would leave it alone and say to the stealer that youll live with it for now and use the £89 towards the service. Or say I can get it re-gassed for £40 down the road at another garage :p

You should use your Air Con regularly to keep it operating properly.

I never switch mine off unless I need that extra bit of poke ;)

£89 for a re-gas is top money, you will get it cheaper just about anywhere else.

My dealer was asking £75 for gas top-up and summat else to do with the impellers. I negotiated it done for less ......

Many manf'r's say it should be done every two years, but my stealer also says that none of the regular man'fr's include it in any service - its always an extra.

JohnK

£89 for a re-gas is top money, you will get it cheaper just about anywhere else.

Yup local garage to me does it for £45 and they have to get a external company in to do it as they dont have a machine :thumbs:

Yup local garage to me does it for £45 and they have to get a external company in to do it as they dont have a machine :thumbs:

If you have a Hall's Auto Electrical near you they can do it for around the £45 mark. As Jimbo says, many garages get someone external to do it. In my area that is Hall's. :)

I believe it cuts out automatically on wide-open throttle anyway. :)

Thats clever stuff, I didn't know that.

Then again I'm not always driving a Zed so I would be interested to know how many other cars do this.

I believe it cuts out automatically on wide-open throttle anyway. :)

Thats clever stuff, I didn't know that.

Then again I'm not always driving a Zed so I would be interested to know how many other cars do this.

I know current Scooby WRX's do it too. I presume most quick-ish cars do these days.

I always turn try turning the aircon off on whatever 1 litre shopping car we hire on holiday to see if it'll make it go faster, and it never seems to work! :D