Steering noise

auzyfozy

Hi all,

I was wondering if you could help me diagnose a noise I have with my 2004 z. I am hearing a knocking noise when driving, so jacked it up and inspected yesterday. I've looked at all the bushings for play, and there is nothing noticeable, however, when I rock the wheel by hand, or with the steering wheel, I get a noise.

This noise disappears when I start the engine.

Is this the same for your cars? Would anyone mind rocking their steering wheel the same as I do in the video and tell me if they experience a similar noise, which also disappears on startup?

Thanks in advance!

Checked this thread as hoping u had the same problem.

Mines is more of a creaking noise!! Doing my nut in, manly sounding car but squeeks like hell!!

Hope u get it sorted

i have this too (creaking) changed drop links so isn't that!

If it goes when you start it'll just be wear in your steering rack, once started and the pump starts working it'll take up the play. Get someone to rock the steering wheel whilst you are under the car and keep your finger tips against the steering arm to see if you can 'feel' the knock. If you can then there's your problems sorted.

Edited by Dave J