HID converted high beams

ir655

Hey guys! Hope all is well :)

A couple of days ago I converted my high beams to HID's, replacing the halogen H7's with a 55W H7 slim ballast kit.

Everything went smooth until I actually got around to test drive it tonight. As I turn the high beams ON, the bulbs start the warm up sequence and just about when they are approaching full brightness the right side bulb blinks (morse code, if you will) 3 times with 2 second intervals. On the 4th blink it'll cut off completely.

The left side is fine and works as it should.

Does anyone know if the high beams need to be canbus type ballasts or not? I'm not looking forward to take the bumper off again! :(

It seems to me that you may have done something wrong with the right hand side. Lose wire or a plug back to front, otherwise surely both would be doing the same thing.

Or a faulty unit of course...

Edited by KyleR

I'm thinking the ballast or bulb must be bad because I tested each side before putting everything back together. I just didn't test them long enough. The right side cuts off on the 4th blink as it comes up to full strength.

I think I'm going in through the wheel arches this time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Do you mean dipped beams or high beams?

Wouldn't recommend putting HIDs in high beam as the ballasts won't take kindly to being flashed or used intermittently

As for the issue you have, check all wires are firmly where they should be. I reckon bits a faulty unit though, not uncommon with HIDs

Flashing bulbs normally indicate faulty ballasts ;)

I also considered doing this, however, on pre 2006 cars, the High beams are reflectors rather than projectors. These done do well with HID lights as the beam pattern will be all wrong.

plus, as smudgedon said, kits like this aren't meant to be flashed, significantly shortens their lifespan. On the more premium cars that have these, I BELEIVE the bulbs are always on, and a flash happens because a trap door type thing moves and lets the light come out and then goes back.

I converted the high beams. My low beam (dipped) are D2R.

I understand hid's aren't meant to be turned on and off frequently within a short time span. I did however notice that they are superior over the stock halogen bulbs and enable me to see further at night.

I'm not worried about the beam pattern on the high beams as it is legal in Sweden to convert your high beams to xenon :)

I think it's the ballast as well, going to cross-swap right/left side and go from there. 2 year warranty FTW :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ill be doing that soon as well...as after upgrading my low beam bulbs, high beam looks way too yellow and not bright enough lol had 2 hid kits in my celica, high beam was awesome...could see everything! Had it installed for 2 years and it was fine!

Ill be doing that soon as well...as after upgrading my low beam bulbs, high beam looks way too yellow and not bright enough lol had 2 hid kits in my celica, high beam was awesome...could see everything! Had it installed for 2 years and it was fine!

I upgraded my D2R's to 5000K D2S bulbs and the like the 5000K much better. Pure white.

The 55W kit was as mentioned earlier much brighter than the stock halogen bulbs and I think it's a reasonable safety mod without having to face-lift headlights :)