How Rays Alloys Are Made.

choptop

incorrect.... that is the video on how proper alloys are made (cue the word forged at the beginning ;) )

...then at the end they show you how cheapo's are made ;):teeth:

Quite a process though. Imagine there was a production run and they got the settings wrong on the lathe. Back to square one! :headhurt:

incorrect.... that is the video on how proper alloys are made (cue the word forged at the beginning ;) )

Quite a process though. Imagine there was a production run and they got the settings wrong on the lathe. Back to square one! :headhurt:

They wouldnt, what they tend to do is do a dry run first without any material (to make sure there are no completely wrong settings that could break the whole machine) then a second with the material, which then goes through a series of tests to double check everything is as it should be. If not, the process is started again, so they dont really lose out on a lot of material during this stage.

They wouldnt, what they tend to do is do a dry run first without any material (to make sure there are no completely wrong settings that could break the whole machine) then a second with the material, which then goes through a series of tests to double check everything is as it should be. If not, the process is started again, so they dont really lose out on a lot of material during this stage.

I think you took me a bit too seriously here....................well it is Sunday morning :yawn:

I think you took me a bit too seriously here....................well it is Sunday morning :yawn:

Yeah i just got that :yawn:

I used to be a Director of a UK Alloy wheel (OEM) Manufacture making 17,000 wheels a week and if you look at the alloy cost at £15 then all the added value (7 different process) we only sold them for £26 and the OEM's sold them for £150+

The different from profit or loss was the cut depth set to machine off swarf and remelt it

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone know what the JWL logo stands for shown at the end of the video?

Its a japanese industry standard for quality, similar to TUV in Germany and DOT in UK etc......

A simple google turned up this.....:

"Safety Standards:

JWL-Japan Light Alloy Wheel (JWL) Standard for Passenger Cars. The Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, and Transport requires that aluminum wheels for passenger cars bearing certain plated numbers sold in Japan bear the JWL mark. The JWL mark can be displayed on wheels that have passed the standard through a self-certification system.

JWL-T-Similarly, the ministry requires aluminum wheels for trucks and buses (with 1 and 4-number plates) to bear the JWL-T mark. Even if a vehicle is classified as a passenger car bearing certain plate numbers and is equipped with LT tires as standard equipment due to its GVW (gross vehicle weight), it must use aluminum wheels bearing the JWL-T mark.

VIA-A third-party entity called the Vehicle Inspection Association verifies whether a product meets the requirements prescribed by the JWL or JWL-T standard. This association permits a product to bear a VIA mark if it passes rigorous quality and strength verification tests conducted in accordance with the JWL or JWL-T standard."

Its a japanese industry standard for quality, similar to TUV in Germany and DOT in UK etc......

A simple google turned up this.....:

"Safety Standards:

JWL-Japan Light Alloy Wheel (JWL) Standard for Passenger Cars. The Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, and Transport requires that aluminum wheels for passenger cars bearing certain plated numbers sold in Japan bear the JWL mark. The JWL mark can be displayed on wheels that have passed the standard through a self-certification system.

JWL-T-Similarly, the ministry requires aluminum wheels for trucks and buses (with 1 and 4-number plates) to bear the JWL-T mark. Even if a vehicle is classified as a passenger car bearing certain plate numbers and is equipped with LT tires as standard equipment due to its GVW (gross vehicle weight), it must use aluminum wheels bearing the JWL-T mark.

VIA-A third-party entity called the Vehicle Inspection Association verifies whether a product meets the requirements prescribed by the JWL or JWL-T standard. This association permits a product to bear a VIA mark if it passes rigorous quality and strength verification tests conducted in accordance with the JWL or JWL-T standard."

I knew you would know :yahoo:

."

Thanks for that Jacko - didn't know that.

I knew you would know :yahoo:

I didn't know in detail. I just googled it with some various suitable wording until I found a site with explanation!

T'Internets a wonderful thing! :thumbs::teeth:

Well ecky thump! :teeth: