HELP Please - renewing belts

Fisherking

Hey everyone

I bought some belts and plugs from Alex (great service) and luckily he has give me some spare nuts for the idler pulley as I have a major issue here.

I have started following the post by Steve 300 about changing them and have undone the alternator/water pump belt idler pulley (this was v stiff but managed it with a mallet and spanner)

However the AC belt is a different matter. The nut is completely seized on. I have tried and tried to free this nut but its not having any of it. I have tried from underneath the car and above and have even taken the engine cover off to try and make it easier. All to no avail.

The nut is now smoothed at the edges and my ratchet is just slipping. In desperation I have just come back from Halfords, having purchased a pair of mole-grips and some shock-bolt spray. Still nothing. Even the mole-grips are sliding off the nut and the nut just won't budge. :angry:

I am at a total loss now and can't use the car. Any ideas as to what I can try next. This is incredibly frustrating as what should be a 30min job has taken most of the day and I'm still no better off. I have severely hurt my hand as well when it slipped off the ratchet and collided with the engine (badly swollen already) and the aforementioned shock-bolt spray I have just managed to break the noozzle off. :rant: :rant:

Incidently I think the root cause of this is Nissan Southampton who serviced the car for the previous owner, I think they are a bit too keen with their tightening. The oil change I did last week took me most of the day (no exageration) to get the filter off it was sooo tightly screwed on.

Thanks

Matt

My first advice is Don't carry on with the mole grips - you will probably only succeed in rounding the nut further!

Did you use a multipoint socket? they are usually good for rounding particularly stubborn nuts and bolts you want the 6 sided sockets they grip better.

Depending on how bad it is your options are starting to run out if you can get a grip the careful application of heat may help but you may be at the cut it off and replace it point, As Ebized has said I'm just outside Bournemouth and have a fairly well equipped garage if you want to make the journey down I'll be happy to try and assist you (as long as you come bearing doughnuts) :)

Feel free to drop me a PM.

Edited by Keyser

Thanks both

Yes I did use a multipoint socket set - lesson learnt here I think.

Have re-tightened the other belt that I had managed to loosen and car now drivable again so can drive to you Keyser. Will PM you.

Saviour!

Thanks so much

Matt