JDM main beam bulbs

JohnUKVetteNut

Hi

My JDM 2005 roadster has poor main beam ( the dip ones are superb!)

Can anyone tell me what bulb I have fitted?

I understand that its "tricky" to gain access to change bulbs so would like to be able to have new ready when taking out old ones!

I have just purchased the appropriate sidelight ( led with resistor inbuilt) to upgrade that but cant find any reliable information on main beam bulbs.

On my previous car (not a Zed) all I did was replace existing with "off road" 100watt Halogens.

I realise these are not road legal but they work superb and MOT never pulled me on them!

Cheers

JohnUKVetteNut

Am I imagining this or are LED hi beam bulbs available now?

I looked into this not long ago, you can buy H7 fit LED bulbs, but if you look at the specs they're aweful, only a few hundred lumens compared to around 1500 for halogen. So that to me suggests they'd make aweful headlights.

Hi Folks

Seems to me that we are poorly equiped on main beam. I have trawled through the internet and have come up with an option...Ring Maxima H7 Xenon gas bulbs 55watt (road legal) seem to have the brightest output, although other makes have good write ups also.

So have bought Ring bulbs and will let you know what they perform like when I have fitted them.

Can anyone tell me why led sidelight bulbs are not MOT approved, the only reason told me by a retailer is that they are not EU approved? surely thats the silliest reason not to have good sidelights i have heard..

JohnUKVetteNut

• Like 2

Having read internet info on led bulbs the short version appears as " bulbs can be led if original fitment and eu approved"

you may not swop filament type bulbs to led type bulbs as the light lens may cause incorrect beam pattern for mot, and the light housing ( headlight etc) is not approved for led bulbs.Also any "blue light or tint" is illegal ( blue is emergency vehicle light colour only) and incorrect ( the incorrect ( blue tint) being the decision made by the individual MOT tester at that time). So thats why some mot stations pass led's and some do not. Even if you locate sidelight leds with eu approval the tester may fail your vehicle as he does not like the blue tint!!

PS if you fail mot for lighting, then no retest fee is needed when you take it back is what i have been told!1

JohnUKVetteNut