Oil pressure (newbie question inside)

Scott TMN

Was basically just wondering with the oil pressure gauge, what sort of pressure it should be around?

I'd assume in the the middle (60) and then depending on driving, it will fluctuate to the 1/4 and 3/4 notch (60 being 1/2)

The reason I ask is I got in my zed today, and noticed the needle going right up to 120 when accelerating, moved back down again no problem, I've only had the car since Saturday so thought maybe I just haven't noticed it before, but I'm sure it didn't get up that high? I usually get really paranoid with things like this so thought I'd just check :)

Thanks I'm advance! :)

I try to be as mechanically sympathetic as possible at all times! just my misjudgment using the coolant gauge to gauge when the engines ready *head against the wall*

i just went out for a long drive, when the revs climb it gets to about 100ish psi I'd say. And yeah thanks whacky will that sounds about right :)

• 5 months later...

Oil pressure normal running 60 to 65 psi when warm at 2500 rpm

Tickover when warm from 25 to 30. psi. 800 to 1000 rpm.

My oil pressure has always been at a steady 60psi at 3000 rpm (when warmed up) - but recently has dropped to just below 60 and seems to fluctuate a bit (never noticed that before). Should I be concerned?

Also, I recall reading in another thread that the amount of oil present in the system (i.e. dipstick reading) has nothing to do with oil pressure - if so, then what does affect the oil pressure?

TIA