Painting Your Brake Discs?

Paddy78

Obviously I'm not talking about the outer part which comes into contact with the pads, but rather the inner part / hub.

My discs have started to look pretty nasty and have surface rust after a hard salty winter. Can I paint the inner part safely to tidy them up a bit and protect them from further corrosion? I assume that the paint would need to be capable of handling very high temps, would something like black manifold paint be OK to use?

Has anyone tried this before? :thumbs:

I'v done it on most of my other cars without any issues, not done the zed yet.

High temp paint would probably be best, but I must say that I have used Hammerite in the past and that stayed on fine. Depends if you go on track/heavy brake a lot really.

Obviously I'm not talking about the outer part which comes into contact with the pads, but rather the inner part / hub.

My discs have started to look pretty nasty and have surface rust after a hard salty winter. Can I paint the inner part safely to tidy them up a bit and protect them from further corrosion? I assume that the paint would need to be capable of handling very high temps, would something like black manifold paint be OK to use?

Has anyone tried this before? :thumbs:

Unless you're doing track days, as even with 'spirited' driving the hubs don't get that hot, you can get away with this; remove all traces of scale/rust/paint etc, coat with halfords (or similar) VHT paint, thin layers-colour of your choice, when dried apply moderate heat-pop in the oven or use hot air gun so as to cure the paint, then for a more durable finish apply a coat of acrylic paint. Yes, ordinary rattle can paint ;)

I've used this technique on the hubs of my 350 and more recently my 370, as well as numerous other cars and plenty of bike engine casings etc. With the 350/370 I've used satin black acrylic as I've fitted black 20mm spacers and this just continues the theme :)