MadGrip

Should there be 350z-UK.com Ebay Etiquette  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be 350z-UK.com Ebay Etiquette

• Yes, lets help members get the best price
    • No , each man for themselves
    • Couldnt care less

do you think there should be any ?

I've bid on a couple of parts off ebay, but when I knew another 350z-uk.com member was bidding I've made sure that I've kept away from it and let someone else have it without starting a bidding war and pushing up the price. I've also had it go the other way round, that when I've bid on something, others haven't bid.I've even retracted bids when I knew I was bidding against someone else off here

But I've also watched things in the ebay section turn into a bidding war.

So, should we have this etiquette on the site, or is it everyman for themselves?

I voted everyman for themselves :)

If this site did'nt exist we would all be bidding against each other anyway. You should use eBay as it was originally intended. Place your highest bid on an item. If someone else is prepared to pay more then you either lose the item or bid again. Thats what I do. I bidded on the Nismo rims today. I put in a maximum bid of $1400 and i got outbid but that was as much as i was prepared to pay so I didn't bid again.

Also how can you police an ebay ettiquette? One person retracts a bid to allow someone else to have it but what if an identical item is listed? Does the person who retracted their bid have first dibs over every other user on this site??? :wacko:

Minefield if you ask me. Just keep it simple and bid ;)

I voted everyman for themselves :)

If this site did'nt exist we would all be bidding against each other anyway. You should use eBay as it was originally intended. Place your highest bid on an item. If someone else is prepared to pay more then you either lose the item or bid again. Thats what I do. I bidded on the Nismo rims today. I put in a maximum bid of $1400 and i got outbid but that was as much as i was prepared to pay so I didn't bid again.

Also how can you police an ebay ettiquette? One person retracts a bid to allow someone else to have it but what if an identical item is listed? Does the person who retracted their bid have first dibs over every other user on this site??? :wacko:

Minefield if you ask me. Just keep it simple and bid ;)

+1

Too complicated. You should only bid how much you think the item is worth or how much you're prepared to pay. If someone outbids you, tough titty.

Plus, there's so many members here now. What if a member unwittingly outbids another member that has been "given the all-clear" to buy something. Are they gonna be branded "a cad and a bounder"?

Nah, it's a can of worms guys.

Thanks for the replies. The origional idea wasnt meant to be a "Dont bid against another member or else" as that, as mentioned, would be impossible and cause all kinds of problems. It was more of a courtesy thing to help each other out wherever possible

It was more of a courtesy thing to help each other out wherever possible

I agree in principle but how do you enforce it. Two people may agree to leave it to one another but what if I or someone else really wants the item too? I'm all for helping each other out but the bottom line is to bid what your prepared to pay :thumbs:

It was more of a courtesy thing to help each other out wherever possible

I agree in principle but how do you enforce it. Two people may agree to leave it to one another but what if I or someone else really wants the item too? I'm all for helping each other out but the bottom line is to bid what your prepared to pay :thumbs:

Thats what i said, each to their own to decide to be "polite" or not. ;)

Yeah, I would say I wont willingly bid against another member if I know about it, but if I do bit then we will just have to let it take its course. eBay is open to everyone after all.

I think it would count more for things that I am not too fussed about getting and that if someone else is already bidding I will stay clear.

I don't think its a question of "rules" or "enforcing" anything. Presumably you wouldn't willingly shaft your mates and the same applies here. It can't be set in stone but a bit of common sense and respect for fellow members is all that is required. :thumbs: