replacing battery?

JohnUKVetteNut

Hi

My 2005 JDM auto is showing signs of a weakening battery...even with a good battery tender ( optimate)

if left for a week without it, its slower than it was a month ago to turn over. It ALWAYS starts so no problem there but are there any special instructions for changing out the battery?

The only one I can seem to find is to lower the windows before disconnection of battery?

I presume thats to stop window from hitting door frame as it will not be able to auto lower as you open the door?

I also have a Cobra 8510 thatcham2 immobiliser but did not get any paperwork regarding that so dont know if any special requirements there?

Thanks

JohnUKVetteNut

don't forget to disconnect and reconnect the battery breather tube if it has one. should be alright as its in the fron tof the car, but my battery is in the boot so has a breather to the outside of the car.

when you get a new battery, it gives you instructions on which terminals to disconnect first and which to put back on first.

also if it was me i'd look for a larger capacity battery, JDMs tend to come with smaller batteries. so if you get one the same as the uk spec one should help the car.

also i can reccomend the bosch S5 batteries, come with a 5 year warranty. good for cold starts and short drive mileage.

Lower the windows slightly is a must, it happened to me before and the window rattles after that.

Double check the terminal size as well UK battery got a thicker neck size. I got it wrong when I had my import before.

Edited by st519

Ok thanks for input.

The new battery is a higher CCA than original. It has the same small posts as my existing. Cant see any breather but possibly not needed as in engine compartment not boot!

Will do this over weekend so if no more posts after then all went well!!

Thank you all.

JohnUKVetteNut

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks

Just to say eventually changed out battery......made up a small set of jump leads ( using small crocodile clips) and connected to my works van to the car terminals, so that i could disconnect from the Zed and leave it connected to van battery whilst removing and installing new Zed battery. All conncted up without probs and works fine!

Cheers JohnUKVetteNut

Hi

My 2005 JDM auto is showing signs of a weakening battery...even with a good battery tender ( optimate)

if left for a week without it, its slower than it was a month ago to turn over. It ALWAYS starts so no problem there but are there any special instructions for changing out the battery?

The only one I can seem to find is to lower the windows before disconnection of battery?

I presume thats to stop window from hitting door frame as it will not be able to auto lower as you open the door?

I also have a Cobra 8510 thatcham2 immobiliser but did not get any paperwork regarding that so dont know if any special requirements

there?

Thanks

JohnUKVetteNut

No problem with the Thatcham Model you have as it has an internal battery to run on whist you change it.

However you need to ring them to tell them you are disconecting the battery, as it will send a signal to them

and they will ring you tocheck its not being stolen