IT Gurus... Help!

kris

My laptop seems to have given up.

Basically I tried to connect devices to my USB ports, the port seemed to move around inside the laptop as if it had become detached on the inside, then everytime I try an connect something to the ports the laptop immediately switched off.

When I try to switch it on I get the 'windows is starting' screen (windows 7) and then a grey screen with just the cursor visible. The laptop will go no further than this. F2 works and I can select safe mode, I have tried to boot up in safe mode however after the white writing shoots up the screen I end up at the same grey screen with the cursor visible.

Can any IT Gurus please offer any suggestions. Also I have ALOT of important data in this laptop and I don't want to go down the route pulling the hard drive out and connecting it to another computer!

If you suspect you may have damaged the motherboard you should power it down and remove the disk. SMD is right, you're risking damaging the data on the drive from sudden power down or worse a short.

Get the disk out, get an adapter for a few quid from PC World and you can get access to the data from another PC while you get the laptop sorted.

Good luck. Hope it's not fubar'd!

Edited by TheMacDaddy

If you suspect you may have damaged the motherboard you should power it down and remove the disk. SMD is right, you're risking damaging the data on the drive from sudden power down or worse a short.

Get the disk out, get an adapter for a few quid from PC World and you can get access to the data from another PC while you get the laptop sorted.

Good luck. Hope it's not fubar'd!

Sounds like I'm going to have I remove the disk then, I'm really hoping I haven't shorted anything. Is there only one adapter I need or are there certain types? I will look for some tutorials for removing the HD.

If something has come loose inside then you are going to have to open it up by the sounds of it. USB is powered so if it is shorting it will shut down. If there is a LOT of important data on there I am guessing you have it all backed up anyway...

It was all backed up on an external hard drive, I had to wipe that in order to do another file transfer with the full intention of putting it back on again... And you can guess the rest. I'm kicking myself now for it! Lets just hope I can salvage my data.